none
FEATURE_DISABLE_INTERNAL_SECURITY_MANAGER Registry Key setting RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone

I needed to add this registry key to IE11 in order to work around an issue that broke modal dialogs in JavaScript. I found the workaround in this post:

H TEE TEE P ESS COLON BACKSLASH BACKSLACH  social DOT technet DOT microsoft DOT com/Forums/en-US/db748198-05f2-48b2-a2f4-33b3f7ed71b7/help-kb3008923-breaks-windowdialogarguments-in-secondary-windows?forum=ieitprocurrentver

(Sorry, the forum won't let me post a link.)

This article blames KB3008923 for the issue, however I checked on my end users' machines and they did not have this update installed. Despite not having this update installed, the workaround resolves their problem.

Unfortunately, there is no information out there about the ramifications of adding this registry key. I am concerned it may open IE11 to some security vulnerabilities.  Can someone please explain what this setting does or point me to a resource that explains this?

Thanks,

Dave

• Edited by ___Dave___ Monday, January 19, 2015 10:48 PM
    Monday, January 19, 2015 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

f12>Console tab, refresh the page to show suppressed error messages.... navigate to display your modal dialogs...

Post back with the error messages displayed/listed in the Console of the Developer tool.

or

If possible please provide a link to your website or a mashup that reproduces the issue.

Regards.

Rob^_^

you will find the hotfix for 3008923 here - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025390

from your description however it sounds like your issue is unrelated to that regression.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:30 AM

All replies

• FEATURE_DISABLE_INTERNEAL_SECURITY_MANAGER appears to be undocumented.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/ee330720(v=vs.85).aspx

apply the hotfix for KB3008923 instead.

check that the client is accepting the default IE security zone settings and that no domains that your web app uses are placed in the trusted or intranet zones.

You should also test in noaddons mode to rule out third party addons such as popup blockers.

Rob^_^

Monday, January 19, 2015 11:59 PM
  • Thanks Rob. Do you know if there is another update that causes the unwanted JavaScript behavior? I would like to know the root cause of this problem.

Dave

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

f12>Console tab, refresh the page to show suppressed error messages.... navigate to display your modal dialogs...

Post back with the error messages displayed/listed in the Console of the Developer tool.

or

If possible please provide a link to your website or a mashup that reproduces the issue.

Regards.

Rob^_^

you will find the hotfix for 3008923 here - https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025390

from your description however it sounds like your issue is unrelated to that regression.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 1:30 AM