none
Cannot Open Project 2010 file in Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2010 Project file that will not open in Project 2013. It seems to be something dealing with predecessors and successors. Project 2013 stop responding when I try to open the file, and when I try to copy the information from Project 2010 and paste in 2013 it give me an error on every predecessors and successors and does not copy the predecessors and successors. The error is "A pasting error occurred on ID nn in the predecessors or successors column. The information is not valid". then it remove the predecessors or successors, however, the information in the predecessors and successors are valid line numbers in the file, they work fine in Project 2010.

Has anyone came across this?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 11:40 PM

All replies

• ProfMelle --

There is a possibility that this file has somehow gotten corrupted.  You might try the following:

1. Open the troublesome project in Project 2010.
    2. Click File > Save As and save it as an XML file.
    3. Close the file.
    4. Open the XML file and use the Import Wizard to create a new project.
    5. Save the new MPP file over the old one.
    6. Now try opening the MPP file from 2010 in Microsoft Project 2013.

Let us know if this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, April 25, 2014 12:40 AM
  • In addition to Dale's ever-wise comment, it wouldn't hurt to make sure Project 2010 is on SP2 and Project 2013 on SP1 so any possible compatibility bugs are fixed for you.

Re save the file in Project 2010 SP2 before trying to  open again in Project 2013 SP1.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, April 25, 2014 7:17 AM