none
Project Resource Weekend Allocation RRS feed

• Question

• I have built up a large number of independant projects that are currently active in my department.  Each was completely individual until this week when I decided I needed a single resource pool, which would allow me to easily see how my resources are divided up or over allocated.  However, one problem I have is that a large number of tasks are listed as e's, as in eday, eweek, etc.  So any recource assigned to those tasks is automatically highlighted as over allocated.  If I were to switch the hours of that resource to a 24 hour schedule, it messes up the timelines I have established. 

Is there any way that I can have exceptions, or turn off the indicators for weekend use, and only show up for when a resource is overallocated?  Or would I need to go back and fix each timeline?  I can do this going forward, but I don't want to lose a lot of work already done.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is there a particular reason for using elapsed duration? This is typically used for example after painting a wall for the task where the painting is drying. This drying task is independant of any calendar, weekends or exceptions. You should just use elapsed for specific reasons.

That being said, adding exceptions won't change anything for tasks with elapsed duration, as I just mentionned. A workaround for removing the oervallocation warning (red guy) would be to change the leveling option (resource ribbon) to month by month. By default, it is on a daily basis, meaning that the warning will appear as soon as Project detects at least 1 day with an overallocation. Encreasing the granularity to a monthly basis, you'd need to have overallocation at the month level to have the warning. It might help (or not).

In case it doesn't, I suggest to use standard durations.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:32 PM
  • What is a "large" number? If its more than 10, or if the files are saved on a hard drive that isn't physically in your building or your network is anything less than 99.9999% perfect, a resource pool is going to start corrupting your files sooner or later.

Other approaches is to look at Microsoft's Project Online, or VBA macros to save data to a database. Or have no pool but create regular master schedules each week. When inswerting sub-projects make sure Link option is OFF. That way all data is copied with no file corruption risking links and all resource data is consolidated as well.

The master will then let you report across all projects.

As Guillame said, use elapsed times sparingly. I would almost say never for durations for tasks with resources. Only use on lags. With durations they can easily interrupt the critical path creating misunderstandings.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, March 29, 2015 3:45 AM