none
Installing Agent after Migrating Servers to New domain RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am having an issue with one of the servers i migrated to a new domain.  I was able to install three servers successfully, but am having an issue with the fourth.

    I can add the server back in as servername.newdomain.net.  However when I click next it says it cannot connect to the Service Manager on servername.olddomain.com (ID 277).

    I deleted the DNs entry from the olddomain. I did a ipconfig /flushdns on both servers.  What else can I do?


    Peter Jam
    Monday, February 21, 2011 7:10 PM

All replies

  • Is there a firewall that could be blocking requests?  What happens if you try and install the agent manually?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:00 PM
  • Adam,

    There was, but I turned it off.  It was supposed to be off according to policy.  There is a Enterprise Trend Micro firewall, I'll try stopping the services and try that.

     


    Peter Jam

     

    That didn't work, so I did a manual install as per bb870935.  I scheduled a rebbot for 1AM tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

    Manual agent installed the agent, but I still cannot connect??

     

    PS:  I also found a doc that said DTC must be enabled, so I did, no satisfation either.

    How can I check to see if Service manager is running?  I do get an error on boot that says one or more services did not start.  I have run sfs /scannow a couple of times.

     

    • Edited by pjamme Wednesday, February 23, 2011 3:03 PM update
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I definitely believe this is a DNS issue caused by the domain migration.

     

    I am getting these in System Event Viewer:

    Event Type:    Warning

    Event Source: DnsApi

    Event Category:         None

    Event ID:         11165

    Date:               2/22/2011

    Time:               4:27:44 PM

    User:               N/A

    Computer:      SLOSSLM01

    Description:

    The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter

    with settings:

     

       Adapter Name : {244A73A9-F512-433C-911E-3D3E75BC0E16}

       Host Name : slosslm01

       Primary Domain Suffix : smithsnet

       DNS server list :

                10.16.148.22, 10.252.18.20, 10.253.18.20, 10.254.18.20

       Sent update to server : <?>

       IP Address(es) :

         10.16.148.20

     

    The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server contacted refused the update request. The reasons for this might be (a) you are not allowed to update the specified DNS domain name, or (b) because the DNS server authoritative for this name does not support the DNS dynamic update protocol.

     

    To register the DNS host (A) resource records using the specific DNS domain name and IP addresses for this adapter, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

     

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    Data:

    0000: 2a 23 00 00               *#..   

     

    And:

     

    Event Type:    Error

    Event Source: NETLOGON

    Event Category:         None

    Event ID:         5789

    Date:               2/23/2011

    Time:               9:54:53 AM

    User:               N/A

    Computer:      SLOSSLM01

    Description:

    Attempt to update DNS Host Name of the computer object in Active Directory failed. The updated value was 'slosslm01.smithsnet'. The following error occurred:

    The parameter is incorrect.

     

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    Data:

    0000: 57 00 00 00               W...   

     

    There is also an informational event that says:

    Event Type:    Information

    Event Source: WinHttpAutoProxySvc

    Event Category:         None

    Event ID:         12517

    Date:               2/22/2011

    Time:               6:35:59 PM

    User:               N/A

    Computer:      SLOSSLM01

    Description:

    The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service suspended operation.

     

    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

     

     


    Peter Jam
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 4:36 PM
  • I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258503

    The Primary DNS suffix of the computer does not match the DNS name of the AD DS domain of which the computer is a member. This configuration is known as a “Disjoint namespace." The update is blocked in this configuration as the pre-requisite write validation of the attribute values fails. The write validation fails because the Security Accounts Manager (SAM) requires, by default, that a computer’s Primary DNS Suffix matches the DNS name of the AD DS domain of which computer is a member.

    Is the primary DNS suffix of the computer different from the DNS name of the AD DS domain?

    That article has 2 resoltuions, 1 for correcting an unintentional disjoint namespace, 1 for keeping the disjoint namespace.

    I would give one of those a go (depening on how things are configured) and try installing the agent from the DPM console again.

    That article is for W2K8, but there are a couple of links that point to 2003 versions of the article.

    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:01 PM
  • Adam,

    thanks for the input.

    I made a change on the Computername\change\more and have scheduled a reboot for tommorrow morinng early.  I let you know.


    Peter Jam
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Nope, Now i am getting a DCOM error for the old local admin that is no longer viable.

    I think I will turn in a Help Desk Ticket to the Solutions Delivery.


    Peter Jam
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 4:35 PM