AppV 5 and security on folders RRS feed

• Question

• I sequenced an application with appv 5 sequencer. My application creates folders in c:\progra files (86)\name and in c:\programdata\name. I gave Everyone:F at c:\programdata\name and then sequenced the application. But after starting application It does not start since it complains not have enough rights on c:\programdata\name. When I checked it has read and not full since Everyone is not mentioned in the acl. How can I fix this ? Any help, tips appreciated. Maybe I can give all users full controller to the bubble when starting this application ?
    Sunday, February 24, 2013 6:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• If I'm not mistaken the "security descriptors" are disappeared in the App-V 5.0 sequencer. Previous in the 4.5+ sequencer the ACL's could be captured by the sequencer if the security descriptors are enabled.

So if no ACL's are captured by the sequencer, changing NTFS permissions is useless in App-5. But again, I'm not sure so check the documentation once more.

Try to change change folder permissions locally, not in your sequence?

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:29 AM
  • Actually Enforce Security Descriptors is now not an option in App-V 5 and is meant to be the default but I have found that it doesn't append permissions correctly and instead tries to overwrite permissions. Check out this thread, it provides AN answer but likely not the one you'd like to see:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/mdopappv/thread/865cfc31-12ee-4ea9-b630-16c05d711f54

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, March 3, 2013 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:50 AM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:12 AM
  • I've found the solution.  You need to edit the permissions on the folder under the user's local appdata directory.  I've made a pre-launch script to take care of it, see here for full details:

http://packageology.com/2013/06/file-permissions-app-v-5/

Dan Gough

Saturday, June 22, 2013 5:20 PM