backend process o stsadm -o backup RRS feed

• Question

• For following question I have been searching in google for solution but i cannot get.

My Quesion is : when we perform stsadm -o backup of site collecton/farm/ssp what is happening at backend when backup is in process. can some one help in gettig the steps for this question. Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Ram Ch
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:47 AM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 6:17 PM

All replies

• Ram Ch -

I don't know exactly what SharePoint is doing behind the scenes when a back up is executed via STSADM, but I do remember Bill Baer mentioning at the 2009 SharePoint Conference in Las Vegas that the SharePoint backup APIs were essentially providing a wrapper around SQL Server's backup capabilities and running them according to the specific needs of the SharePoint platform. When an STSADM backup is run, you need to be careful to try to minimize (or if at all possible prevent) activities that access or modify the databases associated with the components that you're backing up; if there is a contention issue you could have problems ranging from poor performance (best case scenario) to backup corruption or failure (worst case).

Does that help? What other kind of information are you looking for on the process?

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 4:57 PM
  • HI,

When this process runs it puts a read only lock to the site collection on it is executing.

Hence this is always advisable to execute it during non business hours.

This copies everything even GUIDs of site component. 

I hope this will help you out

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:08 AM
  • Thanks John and Rahul.

I understand that site get moved to the read only state when we do backup.. i wanted to know what excatly at backend when the backup is in prorgress. Thanks...

Thanks, Ram Ch
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:22 AM