WSUS Down After Yesterday's Patch Tuesday Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a newbie when it comes to WSUS so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I ran yesterday's Patch Tuesday Windows Updates on two WSUS servers (which are unrelated to each other, on two separate domains, and in two separate network segments) and rebooted. Now both of the Update Services MMCs are showing "Connection Error". When I copied the error to the clipboard, here's what it showed on both:

------------------------------

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API.

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists,

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.IO.IOException -- The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

Source
    System

Stack Trace:

at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
    at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
    at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.Net.WebException -- The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Source
    Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration

Stack Trace:

at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.GetUpdateServer(PersistedServerSettings settings)
    at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.ConnectToServer()at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Scope.ServerSummaryScopeNode.get_ServerTools()
    ------------------------------

I tried the following suggested fixes:

1. Restarted the IIS Admin Service
    2. Restarted the WSUS Service
    3. Restarted the Windows Internal Database service (not running it on SQL Server)
    4. Restarting the MMC
    5. Rebooted the server itself
    6. Deleted the wsus folder within %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC

No luck.

Here are the server's specs:

Running as virtual machines
    Server 2012 R2 Standard
    200+GB HD
    6GB RAM
    Two Intel Xeon processors each

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Sandra Norton Network Manager Luzerne County Community College Nanticoke, PA 18634

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Does your server have this update?  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/wsus/2016/05/05/the-long-term-fix-for-kb3148812-issues/

Uninstall either 3148812, or also 3159706, reboot, and see if that resolves the issue.

Edit: we use SCCM/Configuration Manager Current Branch 1602.  which uses WSUS.  and we deployed this update out yesterday as well.  And WSUS was affected.  As soon as we uninstalled 3159706 and rebooted the servers hosting WSUS--all was well. 

Edit#2:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706  apparently there are MANUAL steps one needs to do postinstall of 3159706.  So if you haven't already uninstalled 3159706, try those steps.

Standardize. Simplify. Automate.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Hi

I installed KB3159706 today and had the same problems. After uninstalling KB3159706 + reboot our WSUS is working again.

But then I read the full KB article (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3159706) and tried again including the manual steps from the KB and it’s working now.

Regards

Stefan

PS: when your SQL is located on another machine, don’t forget to add the SQL_INSTANCE_NAME parameter to the wsusutil command line.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:51 PM
  • Thank you Sherry! I heard about the problematic 3148812, but I didn't hear about 3159706.

Once I uninstalled 3159706 and rebooted, it was fine!

Sandra Norton Network Manager Luzerne County Community College Nanticoke, PA 18634

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Thank you Stefan! I ran the manual steps you suggested as well.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 5:57 PM
  • When I try the manual steps, the first step looks like it completes:

C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools>WsusUtil.exe postinstall /servicing

Log file is located at C:\Users\jhoddinott\AppData\Local\Temp\tmpFFE8.tmp
    Post install is starting
    Post install has successfully completed

However if I look at the .tmp file I see this at the bottom:

2016-05-11 14:50:47  Install type is: Reinstall
    2016-05-11 14:50:47  Install type is Reinstall, but should be Upgrade.  Cannot service the database
    2016-05-11 14:50:47  Swtching DB to multi-user mode......

What's going on with this update??

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:08 PM