Unable to open various SharePoint 2013 CA pages and got The file TopNavBar.ascx does not exist error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I installed a SharePoint 2010 farm solution (WSP) in a test SharePoint 2013 farm and deployed it successfully.

after finished some testing and I un-installed it from the farm.  Now when I open CA and try to open various pages like Farm solution , the page no longer load and got this error.   this only happen to CA site.  SharePoint sites are open OK

TopNavBar.ascx

I searched for resolution but so far notthing about this type of issue.  I tried and found that by re-install this SharePoint 2010 solution back with both Compatibility Level 14 and Level 15 (with the Force parameter),  so this file again can be in 15 hive and again CA pages are now working without the error.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES

I fixed this but I don't think this is the right way and I don't understand why it happened neither.

Can anyone explain what this file do and how do I get this file into 15 hive without having to re-install this SharePoint 2010 the way I did to make it work.

Thanks for all advices and comments

Swanl

Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Swanl,

I think you can try to copy the file TopNavBar.ascx after installing the solution. Then un-install the solution, paste the file into the file system location  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES".

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Tuesday, February 26, 2019 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Swanl,

The link to the TopNavBar.ascx should be "~/_controltemplates/TopNavBar.ascx".

Please check the following:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/4e79bc4c-74a9-49aa-b3cd-6c41d928fbb4/reoccuring-issue-eventid-8dzz-systemwebhttpexception-file-does-not-exist-thrown-when-opening-site

http://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/38098/file-not-found-error-when-i-go-to-user-aspx

Besides, try to re-run the SharePoint Configuration wizard and see if this issue still exists.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, February 25, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi Michael

Thanks for your information.  it help me to understand how this work.

In my case it is a little bit different here,  as after the Un-install of the WSP and then I see the error,  I went to the actual file system location  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES"   and check if the file exist and it was gone.  Only by install this solution back (WSP) again, then check file system location and see the file exist again and CA pages are working again.

So it not the reference to the correct URL that fail to read the file.  It is the file itself was actually got removed by this solution.

running the configuration wizard seem to be another way to put  TopNavBar.ascx  back,  but as mentioned I am too try to avoid doing that unless that the only way.

Thanks

Swanl

Monday, February 25, 2019 8:29 PM
  • Hi Swanl,

I think you can try to copy the file TopNavBar.ascx after installing the solution. Then un-install the solution, paste the file into the file system location  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\TEMPLATE\CONTROLTEMPLATES".

Best Regards,

Michael Han

• Marked as answer by swanl98 Tuesday, February 26, 2019 7:13 PM
    Tuesday, February 26, 2019 1:33 AM
  • Thanks Mark

That did it.  I also noticed that the file TopNavBar before install the WSP (SP2010) have 7K size.

I saved that.

After installed the WSP, the file is 5K size.  (I saved that too)

After retracted and removed the solution,  and the error occurred,  I copied the file with 7K size back to the directory and no longer see error.

Thanks for your advice

Swanl

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 7:13 PM