none
SharePoint Tasks List Project - Failed Job - ManagedModeTaskSynchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We are starting to see projects which are publishing, but the Reporting(Project Publish) job is being blocked due to a failed and blocking correlation on the related "SharePoint Tasks List Project" job.  

So far, the only correlation between the projects is that it appears the project managers delete a task.  Even after restoring the project, the reporting job continues to fail.  

The disconnect seems to be between the project schedule and the connected project site.  The only work around I have found is to disconnect the project site, create a new project site, link the schedule to the new project site and migrate any data (which to date has been very small thankfully).  

The queue has the following: 

> General•Queue:◦GeneralQueueJobFailed (26000) - ManagedModeTaskSynchronization.SynchronizeTaskListInManagedModeMessage. Details: id='26000' name='GeneralQueueJobFailed' uid='667544a6-ef61-e511-941f-00155d149903' JobUID='330e265d-94ad-481a-b176-c0e68074483d' ComputerName='0a6f87d9-0340-4781-9d76-af666af87e93' GroupType='ManagedModeTaskSynchronization' MessageType='SynchronizeTaskListInManagedModeMessage' MessageId='1' Stage='' CorrelationUID='07c6309d-7db6-f060-1f6f-2b165595f7dc'. For more details, check the ULS logs on machine 0a6f87d9-0340-4781-9d76-af666af87e93 for entries with JobUID 330e265d-94ad-481a-b176-c0e68074483d. 

In the ULS: 

> PWA:http://xxxxxxx/pwa, ServiceApp:Project Server Service Application, User:xxxxxx, PSI: [QUEUE] SynchronizeTaskListInManagedModeMessage failed on project 9945555f-0689-e311-a715-08edb9dd8afb. Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectModeManaged.UpdateAssignedToField(SPWeb workspaceWeb, DataSet taskDS, Guid taskUID, SPListItem listItem)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectModeManaged.SynchronizeTask(SPList list, DataSet taskDS, Dictionary`2 taskMapping, DataRow row, DataView secondaryView, Dictionary`2 redoEntries)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.ProjectModeManaged.<>c__DisplayClass1.<SynchronizeTaskList...
    ...InManagedMode>b__0(SPWeb workspaceWeb)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.<>c__DisplayClass39.<TryRunActionWithProjectWorkspaceWebInternal>b__38()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass5.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__3()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Project.TryRunActionWithProjectWorkspaceWebInternal(IPlatformContext context, Guid projectUid, Action`1 method, Boolean noThrow, DataRow row)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Busin...
    ...essLayer.ProjectModeManaged.SynchronizeTaskListInManagedMode(Guid projectUid)     at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.BusinessLayer.Queue.ProcessPublishMessage.ProcessSynchronizeTaskListInManagedModeMessage(Message msg, Group messageGroup, JobTicket jobTicket, MessageContext mContext), LogLevelManager Warning-ulsID:0x000CE687 has no entities explicitly specified.

There are inactive resources on the projects, however, not necessarily on the tasks.  The inactive resources are not status managers.  

Has anyone come across this and been able to resolve it without connecting it to a new project site?

We are using Project Server 2013 on prem Feb 2015 CU in Timesheet Single Entry Mode.  There are no manual tasks.  
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Did you ever find a fix for this? From my investigations it seems to related to certain Resources - in tasks with multiple assignees.

Kind regards,

Jon

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:22 PM
  • The only way that I was able to work around this was remove the connection to the existing project site, create a new project site, and connect the project to that site.  Depending on the amount of data in the existing project site, I migrated some content and some are just going to continue to use the old site.  Not many of my PMs connect directly to the schedule for Issues/Risks, so they accepted that loss of functionality. 

I was unable to identify a specific task, resource or assignment which was causing the issues. The sharepoint list allowed for multiple assignees and the projects were created at different times with different resources.  I could not identify a single commonality that started the issues.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 1:35 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response!

Sounds like it's a different issue for us then. I've isolated ours to having multiple resources on one task, when the users aren't referenced as a single task resource in a row above. Seems bizarre.

It started after going from the installed version to the July CU. I've raised ours with MS so hopefully they might review the job itself and iron out any bugs.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:16 PM
  • How were you able to identify that scenario?  Was there something particular that stood out?

Also, just so I am clear with my understanding, what you means is: 

Setup 1

Project Summary Line 

Task 1: Resource A

Task 2: Resource B

Task 3: Resource A, Resource B

This scenario would work fine.  

However: Setup 2

Project Summary Line 

Task 1: Resource A, Resource B

Task 2: Resource A

Task 3: Resource B

This would not work?  Does it seem to matter if they are assigned to one task alone anywhere in the project, or does it have to be on a previous row/task?

I am curious to see if I can replicate, or see a similar pattern in my projects.  They were large projects, so it was difficult to narrow down.  

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 5:32 PM
  • Did you manage to rectify this issue without creating a new project site. I am seeing exactly the same symptoms on one of the projects in our PWA? Do not want to have to try creating a new project site as there is too much data to migrate across.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 10:04 AM
  • Managed to identify the problem. It was related to the Assigned To column on the Connected SharePoint Site. Needed to be set to Allow Multiple Selections - Yes. The MSProject plan had multiple assignees to certain tasks in the plan therefore the task synchronisation failed.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 1:33 PM