none
strange issues with digits of precision in summary task calcs. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a basic formula that calcs what the planned % complete should be given the planned value and baselines costs. Seems to work as expected on subordinate tasks, however on summary tasks it displays the number to far too many digits of precision. If I remove the &”%” from the end of the formula it reverts back to only 2 digits of precision which is what is expected.

so why would having &”%” screw things up?

Many thanks

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:26 AM

Answers

• IMO, this is not related to the task being either a summary task or a subtask. You can get extra digits in a subtask too if you change the numbers used in the calculation. Just use the Format function to control the implicit number-to-text conversion in the formula as follows:

FORMAT(([BCWS]/[Baseline Cost])*100,"0.00") & "%"

Hope it works.

Regards. 

Added:

>> so why would having &”%” screw things up?

If you use <&"%"> in the expression, the conversion takes place while Project evaluates the formula. Otherwise, it takes place while writing the calculated number to the custom text field so it allows only 2 digits.  

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Monday, July 16, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by gdallas Monday, July 16, 2012 11:17 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 10:16 AM

All replies

• IMO, this is not related to the task being either a summary task or a subtask. You can get extra digits in a subtask too if you change the numbers used in the calculation. Just use the Format function to control the implicit number-to-text conversion in the formula as follows:

FORMAT(([BCWS]/[Baseline Cost])*100,"0.00") & "%"

Hope it works.

Regards. 

Added:

>> so why would having &”%” screw things up?

If you use <&"%"> in the expression, the conversion takes place while Project evaluates the formula. Otherwise, it takes place while writing the calculated number to the custom text field so it allows only 2 digits.  

• Edited by Ismet Kocaman Monday, July 16, 2012 10:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by gdallas Monday, July 16, 2012 11:17 AM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 10:16 AM
  • Hi, yes that works a treat. I would decide that i dont actually want 2 digits of precision, so chanegd yoru code to FORMAT(([BCWS]/[Baseline Cost])*100,"0") & "%"

thank you for this

G

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:16 AM
  • You're welcome and thank you for feedback.

Regards.

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:27 AM