none
Office 2013 with Visio and Project Error - Package manifest is invalid

Question

• In July I successfully created an App-V install of Office 2013 VL using the ODT. This week I decided to try just doing Visio as we don't install it or Project on all systems. I used my same customconfig.xml and just changed the ProPlusVolume to VisioProVolume and changed the source path. Everything downloaded and packaged fine. I was able to import into SCCM just fine and create a deployment to my test collection. However when I run the install out of Software Center I get (as part of a much longer error) the message in AppEnforce.log that the package manifest is invalid. Thinking that maybe I had to include Office as long with Visio I tried packaing all three items but still get the same error. Has anyone else seen this behavior and/or ideas how to fix it? Can I sequence just Visio or just Project? I'm including my config.xml just in case I've got something wrong with it that I haven't caught. Thanks

<Configuration>
      <Add SourcePath="<networkpath>\Microsoft\AppVOffice2013\Sept\" OfficeClientEdition="32" >
        <Product ID="ProPlusVolume">
        <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
        <Product ID="VisioProVolume">
        <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
        <Product ID="ProjectProVolume">
        <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
      </Add>
      <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />
      <Logging Name="OfficeSetup.txt" Path="%temp%" />
      <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />
    </Configuration>

Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:25 PM

Answers

• A new version is available: 15.0.4659.1001. This seem to work (WOMM).
    • Proposed as answer by Dan GoughMVP Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Horton Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:11 PM
  • I've found a workaround!

If you add the Version attribute to the Add element and specify 15.0.4631.1002. Like this:

<Add SourcePath="D:\ODT\VisioSV-SE_old_SourcePath" OfficeClientEdition="32" Version="15.0.4631.1002" >
          <Language ID="sv-se" />
        </Product>
     </Add>

This worked for me, at least I can edit the package with the Sequencer. I don't have access to SCCM or App-V Console to test it there, but some maybe do?

Ok, so you will end up with an old version, but this shows that something is wrong with the 15.0.4649.1001 version.

• Marked as answer by Mike Horton Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:30 AM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:56 PM

All replies

• I'm having the exact same problem, though I'm trying to import the Visio package to the App-V Management Console, not ConfigManager. I get an error that it can't parse the xml data.

And when I try to edit the package with the sequencer, the sequencer just crashes.

When I try to open the DeploymentConfig in ACE, ACE crashes too.

I have also tried making a full ProPlusVolume package, but getting the same error.

My downloaded source files have version 15.0.4649.1001 if that may have changed the last couple of days, because the ODT version I'm using is from May I think.

Anyone else with this problem? Maybe MS has done something to the source files? There were a couple of patches released earlier in the week...

Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:04 PM
  • I am also having this issue, I am just attempting to add the package via the powershell command.  I get the same error whether I specify a dynamicconfiguration XML or not. I have tried with Office Pro, Visio Pro, and Proj Pro.

As an FYI you will not be able to load the package (this is my understanding anyway) into the sequencer or third party apps like AVE.

My downloaded files have the same exact file version, 15.0.4649.1001.
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:37 PM
  • I'm glad to see I'm not the only one then. I did try to load them locally using powershell (both off the network path and from a copy copied locally to the computer) and got a little bit better of an error.

add-appvclientpackage : Package manifest is invalid. Validation of elements in AppV namespace failed.
    Operation attempted: Retrieve Package and Version IDs From Package URL.
    AppV Error Code: 1400000007.
    Please consult AppV Client Event Log for more details.

Nothing shows up in the AppV client section of the event logs but... because it's failing to retrieve the package and version IDs I'm wondering if they're not getting generated properly but I'm not sure if they're stored in the *.appv file or the .xml file(s).

Also, I'm using the same source version as you and re-downloaded the ODT file this week thinking that might be causing the problem.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:39 PM
  • Yeah that's the same exact error I am getting.

I just downloaded and converted these within the last day or so.  If someone has a 'known good' XML to post we can try to repackage off that, I'm not sure that it isn't some settings within the XML.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 8:47 PM
  • Is it maybe because they have the same GUID within the XML?

• Edited by Paul Cobben Friday, September 12, 2014 9:01 AM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 7:31 AM
  • I am setting the GUID in Project and Visio, but not in Office Pro.  Here is my XML.

<Configuration>
      <Add SourcePath="C:\office_deploy_tool\officeproplus\" OfficeClientEdition="32" >
          <Language ID="en-us" />
    	 <ExcludeApp ID="Visio" />
    	 <ExcludeApp ID="Project" />	  
        </Product>
      </Add>
    <Display Level="None" AcceptEULA="TRUE" /> 
    <Property Name="AUTOACTIVATE" Value="1" />
    <!-- <Property Name="PACKAGEGUID" Value="12345678-ABCD-1234-ABCD-1234567890AB" /> -->
    </Configuration>
    On the client side I was only testing 1 at a time, without any other App-V packages in play.

Friday, September 12, 2014 12:13 PM
  • The manifest for the office package does include some things that are different than for other packages, so it isn't unusual that ACE will have a problem.  I also had to make a fix to AppV_Manage (version 3.6) to handle the differences.

I am able to successfully bring the office packages into the App-V Client using AppV_Manage, which ultimately is using the PowerShell interface.

Your problem with SCCM bring in the package sounds like an SCCM issue.  Quite possibly you could bring it in using the virtual MSI to get the package out.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Friday, September 12, 2014 2:04 PM
  • Tim

SCCM has no problem bringing in the package into the console. It's when you go to install it out of Software Center on a client. I've tried it both that was and via powershell (add-appvclientpackage <path> | publish-appvclientpackage -global) with the same result. I had no problem with the 15.0.4631.1002 version that I did back in July and followed the same procedures except I added Visio and Project.

Friday, September 12, 2014 2:50 PM
  • I agree with Mike. Same thing here, and I tried App-V Manage 3.6 too.

I know you're not supposed to use the Sequencer to manipulate the package, and sure enough it crashed trying to load it, but I saved it as a new package in AVE 4.0.1 and it has added and published just fine with the same Powershell commands as I was using before.

I'm reluctant to use a modded version though - the ODT version should be working out of the box.

Friday, September 12, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Tim,

Here is a screenshot of the error.  To reiterate ALL that I have done is download the bits and convert to appv using the ODT setup /download and setup /packager, then tried to add manually via the command below to a known good client running HF5.

• Edited by agallucci Friday, September 12, 2014 3:49 PM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:48 PM
  • I've found a workaround!

If you add the Version attribute to the Add element and specify 15.0.4631.1002. Like this:

<Add SourcePath="D:\ODT\VisioSV-SE_old_SourcePath" OfficeClientEdition="32" Version="15.0.4631.1002" >
          <Language ID="sv-se" />
        </Product>
     </Add>

This worked for me, at least I can edit the package with the Sequencer. I don't have access to SCCM or App-V Console to test it there, but some maybe do?

Ok, so you will end up with an old version, but this shows that something is wrong with the 15.0.4649.1001 version.

• Marked as answer by Mike Horton Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:30 AM
    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:56 PM
  • Good find Marcus, that worked for me too. I wonder when 15.0.4649.1001 was released and when it will be updated.
    Friday, September 12, 2014 5:23 PM
  • 1) I do not add the version into the configuration.xml file so I don't have an issue.  It just grabs the latest version that way.  So unless you have a really good reason to request a version, I would skip it.

2) Be aware that you cannot open the package back up in the sequencer after ODT makes it for you.  In particular, the internal manifest.xml contains items that the sequencer can't handle.  Specifically, it has scripts in the internal manifest.xml file!  Strangely, the external manifest files do not have the scripts showing -- but as long as you don't try to add your own it will default to the internal scripts.

3) The client must have EnableScripts configuration turned on.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Friday, September 12, 2014 5:35 PM
  • @Tim

1. Neither did I at first, so it downloaded the 15.0.4649.1001 version, which does not work for me or other users in this thread. When I specify the older version, the package ODT creates works. I have now confirmed it works with manual publishing through PowerShell.

2. The 15.0.4631.1002 package I created with ODT, which publishes just fine, can be opened in the sequencer just fine. I have found guides which says you should open up the package after ODT has created it and edit some registry settings to get rid of the first start annoyances. Is this not correct to do so? If it's not correct, how should I get rid of these getting started dialogs etc?

3. Yes, my test client has that setting turned on.

Friday, September 12, 2014 6:37 PM
  • @Marc and @Tim

1. I haven't done this before and haven't had time today to attempt it but if it's working.... I'll give it a shot. Tim, have you tried AppV'ing the 15.0.4649.1001 version. It would be helpful to some of us who aren't as comfortable with the process to know whether it working for or not for someone such as yourself.

2. I've seen that same guide I think (http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/2013/12/18/using-app-v-to-deploy-office-2013/). On my first foray into virtualizing Office I tried that with no success. Basically I ended up going with group policy though I never did get rid of the initial License Acceptance pop up. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c5ebc18-2609-4195-aaa6-2d2fe15b2165/office-2013-first-run-and-eula?forum=mdopappv#e625c25f-4d44-4d4c-b799-cc3f93fc09c9 

Friday, September 12, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Hy. I'm having the same problema.

I'm trying to create na app-v package (v.5 SP2) of Office 2013.

I downloaded the Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36778

I installed it into C:\Office2013pck shared that folder as  \\APPVMANAGER\Office2013 and mapped as Z:\.

I changed the configuration.xml file to:

<Configuration>
      <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" >
          <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
          <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
      </Add>
    </Configuration>

Then I ran in na elevated cmd:

>Z:

>\\APPV-CL-WIN7DEF\Office2013\setup.exe /download \\APPV-CL-WIN7DEF\Office2013\configuration.xml

and

>\\APPV-CL-WIN7DEF\Office2013\setup.exe /packager \\APPV-CL-WIN7DEF\Office2013\configuration.xml \\APPV-CL-WIN7DEF\Office2013\Appv

Everything seemed to work fine.

The creted folder had Office\Data\15.0.4649.1001 folder (I guessed this is a version number)

When I tried to add the package to App-V Server (in the Console) I get the following error:

An unexpected error occurred while retrieving AppV package manifest. Windows error code: 1465 - Windows was unable to parse the requested XML data.

I tryied to publish it from powershell, getting the same error message agalluci image post shows.

From the Event Log I got this additional information:

There was a problem retrieving the requested package \\APPVMANAGER\AppVpck\Office\VisioProVolume_ProPlusVolume_en-us_x86.appv for import. Error message: Unspecified error

Element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/appv/2010/manifest}UsedKnownFolders' is unexpected according to content model of parent element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2010/manifest}Package'.

I haven't found any indication of which file is the manifest app-v file.

I also haven't found any .xml with the "UsedKnownFolders" tag (I changed the .appv package extension to .zip and explored some of the files).

I tryied creating a package for 32 and 64 bits, only office, office and visio, and office visio and project running Windos 7 and Windows 2012.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:58 PM
  • I've got the same error, when I tried add package, any help :)
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:49 AM
  • I am teaching a class this week so I won't be able to look at it.

I hope everyone on this thread is attempting to use the ODT on an x64-bit OS?  It is mentioned somewhere in the documentation.

Tim

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:26 PM
  • I checked my server.  The version I last did (successfully) was 15.0.4641.1003 which was ODT downloaded on Sept 7th.

To point out another potential source of error from another post elsewhere on this thread, if you want to open up the .AppV file in a ZIP editor to look around, you should do so on a copy of the package which is then thrown away.  If the zip editor re-writes the package file when you close it, it will invalidate the file and the client will not accept it.

Tim

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:40 PM
  • I am having this same issue. I have created the App-V package. When I try to add it to the App-V server I get this error.

An unexpected error occurred while retrieving AppV package manifest. Windows error code: 1465 - Windows was unable to parse the requested XML data.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:33 PM
  • I did the same as Marcus except I used Tim's version # as I knew it worked for at least him. And I had success using the exact same command lines (so I know I wasn't doing that wrong). At this point all I can think of is that the 15.0.4649.1001 version is fubared and will hopefully work in October.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:33 AM
  • To add to this, I had a ticket opened up with MS regarding Office package creation and let them know about this issue.  They confirmed there seems to be a problem and just like Mike mentioned believe it will be fixed in the October release.

I will go back to them, to be quote honest I don't care if the newest build has an issue, but then they need to remove that build from download (rollback).  I would suggest if anyone has the ability to put in a ticket with MS to do so.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

I tried on x64 win8.1 and appv 5.0sp2, also I enabled Packagescripts 

In event Log I have:

Package {d24c3bdd-8fad-44d3-998c-933f8f053682} version {127ca6e7-f7ab-4e14-9342-463b43ca0dee} failed configuration in folder '' with error 0xA0C00914-0x7.

In the command line I gets:

Add-AppvClientPackage : Package manifest is invalid. Validation of elements in AppV namespace failed.
    Operation attempted: Configure AppV Package.
    AppV Error Code: 1400000007.
    Please consult AppV Client Event Log for more details.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Add-AppvClientPackage -Path C:\odt\appvoffice\AppVPackages\ProPlusVolume_en-us_x ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidResult: (:) [Add-AppvClientPackage], ClientException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ConfigurePackageError,Microsoft.AppV.AppvClientPowerShell.AddAppvPackage

I create issue to support ms, I waiting for receive, I'll post when I've new information about this problem.

Friday, September 19, 2014 10:11 AM
  • Someone requested that I validate the error.  I did so today.  I am unable to create an app-v package using the current online version of office (15.0.4649.1003) and the ODT tool.

The last office version that I ran it successfully against was on Sept 9th (I did not try it again until today, so I don't know when it broke), which was version 15.0.4641.1003.  For now, it appears requesting this version in the configuration.xml may be your best option.

Tim

Saturday, September 20, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Seems like this is an issue with the ODT. Can someone share the link to an older version of ODT? I have tried creating the package with the versions mentioned here and its still failing. 
    Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Can you please provide the installers for ODT you are using? I have tried with the different versions for office and still getting the same error.

Thanks in advance,

Vinu

Monday, September 22, 2014 8:08 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Can you please provide the installers for ODT you are using? I have tried with the different versions for office and still getting the same error.

Thanks in advance,

Vinu

I'm using the latest ODT downloaded from MS. Make sure you specify the correct version in the xml before you're running "setup.exe /download c:\config.xml". And you have to specify the full path to the xml, otherwise it will just run with some default values and the latest (broken) Office source files will be downloaded!
    Monday, September 22, 2014 8:18 AM
  • I opened a case wtih Microsoft regarding not being able to use ExcludeApp= and get a package that had what I wanted.  While in the middle of the case Microsoft changed something and subsequent builds gave the same issues being described here.  I sent Microsoft everything I was using and the package that was being generated.  And I just got a reply to check out this blog and that it will be fixed in the October build.

Monday, September 22, 2014 4:56 PM
  • Microsoft confirmed with me that this is a known issue with Sept releases 15.0.4649.1001 and 15.0.4649.1003.

They noted that there are no security fixes associated with those office releases, and that using the prior version is suggested until a fix is released.  As I noted in a previous reply, specifying version 15.0.4631.1002 in the configuration.xml file seems to work just fine.

Tim

• Proposed as answer by Ben De Vriese Thursday, October 02, 2014 3:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ben De Vriese Thursday, October 02, 2014 3:03 PM
    Monday, September 22, 2014 11:45 PM
  • FYI

Current version 15.0.4649.1004 still has this bug. Tested with ProductID "O365ProPlusRetail".

Thursday, October 02, 2014 3:06 PM
  • I confirmed the same thing today on OfficeProPlusRetail and SPDRetail. Also, the ExcludeApp tag still doesn't work with these products.
    Tuesday, October 07, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Confirmed on VisioStdVolume and PublisherStdVolume today, thought I had done something wrong until I found this post. Downloading again using the version posted above.

Thanks for providing a workaround!

Wednesday, October 08, 2014 6:39 PM
  • Attempted to download and package Office 2013 Retail Pro today and still am experiencing the same import issues.  As mentioned in Ben De Vriese's statement on October 2nd, this version 15.0.4649.1004 still does not work.

Does anyone know if the Microsoft Office team is working on this issue?

Friday, October 10, 2014 9:56 PM
  • I also had same problem with these scenarios:

-Importing with AppV5 management

-Add package locally (powershell: add-appvclientpackage command)

-Version 15.0.4649.1004 (x86)

Version: 15.0.4631.1002 (x86) worked for me.

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:55 AM
  • Attempted to download and package Office 2013 Retail Pro today and still am experiencing the same import issues.  As mentioned in Ben De Vriese's statement on October 2nd, this version 15.0.4649.1004 still does not work.

Does anyone know if the Microsoft Office team is working on this issue?

I had a ticket open with MS for Office package creation in general, and asked them about this.  Their response is that it will eventually be fixed when the next version (OR version after that) comes out.  There was no communication of a definitive timeline. 

If this issue does affect you and you have the opportunity to place a support ticket with MS I would advise you do that

Monday, October 13, 2014 7:38 PM
  • I have not been able to try this yet but I have been advised to try the following related to my issue of the Exclude option not working.  Set up a clean machine and do not install office or the app-v client.  Then download the latest bits and build the package on the new clean machine that has never seen office.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014 6:59 PM
  • A new version is available: 15.0.4659.1001. This seem to work (WOMM).
    • Proposed as answer by Dan GoughMVP Wednesday, October 22, 2014 3:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Horton Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:11 PM