Outlook Stalling everytime a new email arrives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

We have had a query come through to the helpdesk and it reads as follows:

My Outlook freezes badly, usually for several seconds, when a new email arrives. If there's just one incoming email, it's just about tolerable, but if there are more -- which typically happens when there's a deluge of server alerts -- Outlook simply becomes unusable. Even usually, 2 or 3 emails is enough to make it difficult to use.

Andy had a quick look at it the other day (when we were looking at something else) and changed the cacheing settings. At the time, that seemed to help, but it's fairly quickly back to where it was. It's possible that that changing the settings was enough to clear some buffer or cache which helped for a while, or it could just have been coincidence.

By way of example, in the time it's taken me to write this email, Outlook has frozen twice for up to 5 seconds each time. (And I don't type slowly).

Our setup is an on premise Exchange Server 2013, Outlook is installed locally with office 2016 and a 1.5GB limit on the mailbox, we are running Windows 10 64bit.

The user in question has a LOT of rules and alerts that get emailed through to them so not sure if that is related,

Any Questions or suggestions, please post below

Regards

Dan

• Moved by Steve Fan Friday, October 6, 2017 5:28 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 8:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Does this issue continue if we try opening and using Outlook in safe mode (outlook /safe)? This could help determine whether a problematic add-in is causing this issue.

The corruption of the .OST could also be a cause. We may try to create a new OST file and then see whether thsi issue continues. To create a new OST file, close Outlook, rename the original OST file via appending .old to it. Then, start Outlook, a new OST file will be created.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, October 6, 2017 9:34 AM
    Friday, October 6, 2017 5:57 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I can try the first one, however we always run outlook in online mode, so can't be a cache issue

Cheers

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:03 PM
  • It has noticed that when opening a file or send an email message, Outlook freezes, and users can receive the following error message. This type of issue arises if any add-ins are interfering with Outlook or corrupt profile in your Outlook. However, there might some other reasons behind such types of issue.
    Firstly you should be sure that your computer meets the Outlook 2016 system requirements. As said by Steve, you can create a new OST file after renaming the existing OST file, once the Outlook gets synchronized it creates a new & healthy OST file and it will free from corruption issues.

The below is a document about how to troubleshoot when Outlook freezes or not responding.

Read here; Outlook freezes when you open a file or send email
    Hope it might help you !!
    Cheers !!
    Monday, October 9, 2017 11:25 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I can try the first one, however we always run outlook in online mode, so can't be a cache issue

Cheers

Thank you for the update. When using online Exchange mode, the Outlook performance could be affected. If possible, I'd recommend you switch one of the machine to cached Exchange mode and then see whether this issue continues.

Besides, please also try to determine whether any local network issues might be causing the problem. This includes issues that affect your local proxy server, firewall, or Internet service provider.

As Outlook performance issue could be caused due to many factors, please also check this troubleshooting guide and see whether it provides any help:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2695805/how-to-troubleshoot-performance-issues-in-outlook

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:50 AM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 9:18 AM