none
Restore to original location RRS feed

• Question

• I am reposting this issue as I received no response from my original post.  Hopefully someone with some experience with DPM will see it this time.

Joe

I am attempting to do some test restores from DPM 2012 SP1.  I have multiple servers and guest VM's protected both as servers and as VM's.  When I try to restore a single file to the original location on the file server (Windows 2008 Guest OS), the restore fails with the following error:

Affected area: D:\
    Occurred since: 11/11/2013 2:47:15 PM
    Description: The recovery jobs for Volume D:\ that started at Monday, November 11, 2013 2:40:08 PM, with the destination of fileserver.internal.com, have completed. Most or all jobs failed to recover the requested data. (ID 3111)
    DPM failed to communicate with DPM.internal.com because the computer is unreachable. (ID 41 Details: No such host is known (0x80072AF9))
    More information
    Recommended action: 1) Make sure that DPM.internal.com is online and remotely accessible from the DPM server.
    2) If a firewall is enabled on DPM.internal.com, make sure that it is not blocking requests from the DPM server.
    3) If you are using backup LAN, make sure that the backup LAN settings are valid.
    On the Jobs tab in the Monitoring tasks area, group jobs by type to view details of the recovery jobs.
    Retry the recovery job...

Note that the communicatons failure is with the DPM server itself!  A restore to an alternative location on the DPM server succeeds very quickly, but trying to restore to the file server fails.  Here is information on the environment:

DPM: Windows 2012 Guest VM running on Windows 2012 Host.  It has a static IPv4 address for both the data and backup VLANs.  The Windows firewall is disabled.

File Server: Windows 2008 (R1) Guest VM running on Windows 2008 host.  It has a static IPv4 address for the data VLAN only.  It is running McAfee AV with an exclusion for the DPM directories.  The Windows Firewall is disabled.

I can ping back and forth between the two servers, and I've run the RPC and Webcon tests with no errors.  I've enabled and disabled IPv6 with no change.  Can anyone tell me what I can look at next?

Thanks,
    Joe

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Most likely DNS resolution is not setup correctly for backup network.  Are you using HOST files ?

Be sure your configuration mimics the following configuration.

STEP-BY-STEP
    ===========

Given the following:

DPMServer.corp.com server BACKUP Address = 192.168.1.23
    DPMServer.corp.com server production Address = 10.10.10.23
    SQLServer.corp.com  server BACKUP Address = 192.168.1.24
    SQLServer.corp.com  server production Address = 10.10.10.24

1. The prerequisites for backup network functionality are as follows.

DNS resolution on DPM server for the Protected Server (PS) (e.g. SqlServer.corp.com) should be able to resolve it to the backup IP (192.168.1.24 ).
    DNS resolution on SQL Server for the DPM server (e.g. dpmserver.corp.com) should be able to resolve it to the backup IP (192.168.1.23).

This will work by using a Host file since most likely the backup network will not have DNS Servers.

A. Add the FQDN and Backup NIC's IP address of the DPM Server to the protected machines HOSTS file. This forces the protected machine to communicate with the DPM server over the backup NIC.

DPMServer.corp.com 192.168.1.23

B. Add the FQDN and Backup NIC's IP address of the protected machine to the DPM servers HOSTS file. This forces the DPM server to communicate with the protected machine using the backup NIC.

SQLServer.corp.com  192.168.1.24

2.  The backup subnet address and mask should be configured through Add-BackupNetworkAddress powershell applet.

The subnet specification should be such that it covers the entire range of backup network addresses of DPM server and intended PS's.

To calculate Mask bits use: http://www.subnet-calculator.com/subnet.php?net_class=B

e.g. "Add-BackupNetworkAddress -DpmServername DPMServer -Address 192.168.1.0/24 -SequenceNumber 1". 
          "Add-BackupNetworkAddress -DpmServername DPMServer -Address 10.10.10.0/28 -SequenceNumber 2".

NOTE: You also need to configure the production network as a 2nd backup network for a fallback and also for protected servers not configured with a backup network.

3. DPM Agents (DPM and PS) should be restarted to ensure that the backup network settings are in effect.   (Stop any active backup jobs, then run net stop DPMRA on both DPM and PS Server)

MORE INFORMATION
    ==================

To list configured backup networks use:

Get-BackupNetworkAddress -DpmServername DPMServer

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 4:49 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for the detailed response.  I see where you're coming from with the network resolution.  I think you are correct but let me clarify one point and see what you think.

The files I am trying to restore are from a file server that is a Hyper-V guest.  The Hyper-V host has both the production network and the backup network configured.  The file server only has the production network defined.  I am backing up the file server as a Hyper-V node AND as individual files.  I did not add the backup network to the guest when I deployed DPM because I wasn't sure of the impact on normal production traffic.  Does this scenario change your answer in any way?

Thanks,
    Joe

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:06 PM
  • HI,

Well, it sure is an interesting configuration. DPM should try the backup network first, fail, and then try the regular production network. I guess a network trace might be in order to see what is happening on the wire.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 28, 2013 12:35 AM