Keyboard not working during Windows install cannot type any command. RRS feed

• Question

• Lenovo Ideapad 100s 11IBY

Installing Windows 10 via USB to a cleaned drive.

Keyboard not working during Windows installation setup via 'Repair Computer', 'Troubleshoot', 'Command Prompt' to convert format from MBR to GPT.

It has been suggested to carryout the following:-

To manually wipe a drive and convert it to GPT: 
    Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key. 
    Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode. 
    From inside Windows Setup, press Shift+F10 to open a command prompt window. 
    Open the diskpart tool: 
    Type: diskpart 
    5. Identify the drive to reformat: 
    Type: list disk 
    6. Select the drive, and reformat it: 
    Type: select disk <disk number> 
    Type: clean 
    Type: convert gpt 
    Type: exit 
    7. Close the command prompt window. 
    8. Continue the Windows Setup installation. 

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. The drive will appear as a single area of unallocated space.
    Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows begins the installation. 

OK but the keyboard will not work as said earlier.

I feel like a Tennis ball with this problem that BitLocker has caused.

Having been in touch with the Manufacture 'Lenovo' about this whole issue not having a Recovery key etc.

They are saying its a problem Microsoft caused with its update recently.

I cannot carryout any of the above suggestions, as said about the keyboard

The problem of not being able to change the format of the disk either by Command Prompt or BIOS is caused by BitLocker. They saying the very limited BIOS currently is the aftermath and where the Keyboard is none functional during Windows installation all stems from BitLocker.

So at present I do not know the next step in solving this, either by getting into CMD to change the format with a defunct keyboard or not being able to update the BIOS to a full menu as you would see on a normal PC and change the disk format there.

So where do I go from here as they are saying a problem of Microsoft.

thanks

Windows 10 Home V1703 64-bit

Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:01 PM

All replies

• This shows Lenovo support has no idea about bitlocker. BL has nothing to do with any of the issues.

Connect an external usb keyboard and that's that.

Friday, February 8, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Thanks had to purchase a cheap keyboard to sort the problem as I and friends didn't have one.

True about Lenovo, they offered no help of how to solve this only to blame Microsoft even with the keyboard not working. Flat nothing..............

Windows 10 Home V1703 64-bit

Friday, February 8, 2019 6:54 PM