Custom List Question RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently using WSS 3.0.  I have created a custom list anbd would like to know if theres any ways i can create a dependent field based on the selection from a drop down.

So, user selects an item from the drop down (ie. other), and is forced to fill out a textfield based on their drop down selection.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Friday, June 27, 2008 7:56 PM

Answers

• There is not a way to do that through the SharePoint UI.

We had this same need and built our own custom column types to handle this. We also built inheritance into the dropdown fields so that the value you selected in the first column dictated what values you could select from in the following columns.

I don't know how complex it was to code, but I do know it was not an OOTB piece of functionality.

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:07 PM

All replies

• There is not a way to do that through the SharePoint UI.

We had this same need and built our own custom column types to handle this. We also built inheritance into the dropdown fields so that the value you selected in the first column dictated what values you could select from in the following columns.

I don't know how complex it was to code, but I do know it was not an OOTB piece of functionality.

Friday, June 27, 2008 9:07 PM
  •  

thanks for your response.  That really sux that you cannot do this out of the box.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:30 AM
  • Sunday, June 29, 2008 1:25 PM