spooler RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Dell Latitude laptop. I have a duel boot system with Win Server 2012 demo.  

My printers have disappeared. Error message “Windows can’t open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine”.  When I go to services and try to start the print spooler I get an Error “1053” I cannot install a local printer or network printer.

The only way I can repair the issue is to roll back the system to a previous date. The next day the printers disappear and cannot start the print spooler again. I have rebooted the system several times.

I am not seeing any recent updates.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can try the following to troubleshoot the printer issue:

1. Use a troubleshooter

A troubleshooter is an automated tool that can find and automatically fix some problems with your PC. The printing troubleshooter can fix problems with installing a printer, connecting to a printer, and errors with the print spooler—software that temporarily stores print jobs on the PC's hard disk.

2. Clear the print spooler queue

=================================

Click start, type cmd in the search bar, right click cmd and run as administrator. Type the following commands and press enter.

net stop spooler

del /F /Q %systemroot%\System32\spool\PRINTERS\*

net start spooler

3. Test the issue in Clean Boot mode.

If any error is received, please feel free to let me know.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:04 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:41 AM