Most AD Users Cannot Log In RRS feed

• Question

• I have just recently inherited the IT Administrator responsibilities for this network. This computer was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7 about a year or so ago. Only one domain user has ever really used this computer, but other users have been able to log into it in the past. Now, only local administrators, the domain administrator, and the primarily user (call her Prime) can log into the computer. All others users put in username and password, the display says welcome, and then logging off. No errors occur. The event log (Windows > Security) shows a successful sign on and then an immediate log off, but without errors. Normal event codes.

I created a standard local user (the old way, not using Settings) and it can not log in either until I add it to the administrators group. I have tested adding domain users to the administrators group, but this only allows a login to a Temporary account. It does not create a user profile.

I have removed the computer from the domain and re-added it. I have removed all of the user profiles (except Prime) and tried to log in as those users, but no avail. I have checked the registry to insure the login path is correct. I've check the local GP to make sure all users are allowed to log in. I've checked AD to make sure the user accounts don't have any computer login limitations. I've tried copying a C:\users\default folder from another Windows 10 computer to replace the one on this machine. I am running out of ideas.

Thursday, June 8, 2017 3:00 PM

All replies

• Is this just one machine? As you have tried normal trouble-shooting steps, be time for rebuild \ clean install imho.
    Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:32 PM
  • Hi ,

If this issue only affect one specific machine, we could perform an in-place upgrade repair to refresh the machine. Refreshing the machine won`t affect the personal files.  It allows you to keep all your files, settings and apps. No product key is required. Activation is automatic. Boot from a Windows 10 ISO, choose "Upgrade" install.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 9, 2017 6:55 AM