Default File Location for Word using GPO RRS feed

• Question

• I have just launched Office 2013 for my users.   Those users access Word and Excel via Terminal Servers.   So, I need ways to set the defaults for these products so I don't have to touch each users login/machine.   I have been able to use Group Policy for everything I need except in Word and the default file location.   I have tried the GPO administrative template for Office 2013 and went to Microsoft Word 2013 > Word Options > Advanced > File Locations and set the path to N:\

Did the gpupdate /force and nothing changed.                               However, Group Policy will set it in Excel.

So then I tried using the registry template in GPO.     Here I used HKEY_CURRENT_USER with path to

Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options and the value name is DefaultPath

Value data is N:\

That doesn't work either.

HOW are we suppose to set defaults to our network in Word.

I have also did the entry in GPO to "block signing into Office"                     None Allowed

We don't and won't be using SkyDrive in our type of business

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my tested in my environment, I went to set the Default File Location via group policy.

• Word: Microsoft Word 2013/Word Options/Advanced/File Location/ and change the Default File Location
    • Excel: Microsoft Excel 2013/Excel Options/Save and change Default file location

Both of them works fine. As you said " However, Group Policy will set it in Excel." Does it mean that you set Word and Excel via two group policies at the same time, but it only works in Excel?

If it is, please try to re-download and change the Word ADMX to test.

If the issue still exist, please try to use Gpresult command Or RSOP to check group policy result on client.

When troubleshooting group policy issues, we use the gpresult command to confirm whether GPOs are really applied to the client (computer/user). You can run the following command in a command prompt:

gpresult /z > c:\policy.txt

For more details about the usage of command Gpresult, please refer to the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490915.aspx  

When you read the output, the c:\policy.txt file in this sample, please examine the results of the report to find the answers to these questions.

• Does the report list the particular GPO as applied?
    • Is the setting listed in the report?
    • Is the GPO listed in the Denied List

More reference:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/382c97e8-93c8-4022-b8fe-22401037d14c/forum-faq-common-steps-to-start-troubleshooting-group-policy-application-issues?forum=winserverGP

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Monday, April 14, 2014 1:21 AM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:18 AM

All replies

• Is the N:\ a network  or local location?  It only applies to local location.

See http://trekker.net/archives/set-the-default-save-location-to-computer-in-office-2013/

===================

Smith

• Proposed as answer by Nipedley Sunday, October 6, 2019 8:02 PM
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 7:27 AM
  • It is a network drive.

And I have tried the process as provided in your link.   Doesn't work.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:13 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my tested in my environment, I went to set the Default File Location via group policy.

• Word: Microsoft Word 2013/Word Options/Advanced/File Location/ and change the Default File Location
    • Excel: Microsoft Excel 2013/Excel Options/Save and change Default file location

Both of them works fine. As you said " However, Group Policy will set it in Excel." Does it mean that you set Word and Excel via two group policies at the same time, but it only works in Excel?

If it is, please try to re-download and change the Word ADMX to test.

If the issue still exist, please try to use Gpresult command Or RSOP to check group policy result on client.

When troubleshooting group policy issues, we use the gpresult command to confirm whether GPOs are really applied to the client (computer/user). You can run the following command in a command prompt:

gpresult /z > c:\policy.txt

For more details about the usage of command Gpresult, please refer to the following link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490915.aspx  

When you read the output, the c:\policy.txt file in this sample, please examine the results of the report to find the answers to these questions.

• Does the report list the particular GPO as applied?
    • Is the setting listed in the report?
    • Is the GPO listed in the Denied List

More reference:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/382c97e8-93c8-4022-b8fe-22401037d14c/forum-faq-common-steps-to-start-troubleshooting-group-policy-application-issues?forum=winserverGP

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by George123345 Monday, April 14, 2014 1:21 AM
    Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:18 AM