Server 2012 R2 - Local WSUS server trying to contact remote server for connection RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange issue with WSUS and ConfigMgr.  Hopefully this is the correct forum to post as it seems to be WSUS related.

I have a WSUS server that is running Server 2012 R2 that for whatever reason is trying to connect to a remote server that doesn't even have WSUS installed.  Here is a snipit from the logs:

System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 192.168.1.5:8531~~   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)~~   at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Exception& exception)~~   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---~~   at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)~~   at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.WSUS.WSUSServer.ConnectToWSUSServer(String ServerName, Boolean UseSSL, Int32 PortNumber)	SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER	3/23/2016 4:28:34 PM	4920 (0x1338)
    Failed to set WSUS Local Configuration. Will retry configuration in 1 minutes	SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER	3/23/2016 4:28:34 PM	4920 (0x1338)
    Attempting connection to local WSUS server	SMS_WSUS_CONTROL_MANAGER	3/23/2016 4:28:34 PM	4920 (0x1338)

The WSUS server IP is 192.168.150 and from the logs it is trying to connect to a remote server of 192.168.1.5.  Why would it try and connect to a remote server when it has WSUS installed locally?  I am not using any proxies and I have tried to uninstall/reinstall the role.  Anyway I can force it to connect to itself?  Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 11:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If SCCM is involved, WSUS will not work in the normal way. It will be managed by CM.

To get better help, I would suggest you to post your questions on the SCCM forum.

For WSUS itself, it will only contact other WSUS server when it has been configured as downstream server.

Best Regards,

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, March 25, 2016 1:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ryan Arnold Friday, March 25, 2016 8:06 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2016 3:42 PM

All replies