none
Show tasks in timeline view for a single day RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to clearly show all the tasks that are scheduled for 1 day in timeline view?

I have a number of tasks scheduled for Tuesday. example:

08:00 - 10:00 Task 1

10:00 - 12:00 Task 2

13:00 - 15:00 Task 3

Timeline currently shows all 3 tasks bunched up on top of each other. The only way to view them is to hover my mouse over each task. Then I can see the details clearly.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

pajoryan123
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:01 PM

Answers

• Just to step back and make sure we aren't talking past each other.

You have a custom report "Task Timeline Report" using a custom "Timeline" table.

When you run the "Date Range" filter as part of the report, you are entering a range of dates but it still shows you tasks from the entire project.

• Are you still seeing summary tasks beyond the date range?  If so, that is expected unless you explicitly exclude summary tasks by modifying the "Date Range" filter.

What happens if you set the date range in the Page Setup dialog?

Friday, February 3, 2012 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you tried the Detailed Timeline option?  Right click on the timeline and choose Detailed Timeline from the shortcut menu.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Sunday, January 8, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Have you tried the Detailed Timeline option?  Right click on the timeline and choose Detailed Timeline from the shortcut menu.

I have that option turned on. It still truncates the task to just show the first word or 2 of the task (without date and time).

Timeline only seems to display the task with start date/time and end date/time if they are longer than 1 day.

Anything else i can try?

Do you perhaps know a better way to display tasks as they are scheduled to begin and end?

thanks.

pajoryan123
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:38 PM
  • Sorry, I can't duplicate what you report.  When I add tasks to a detailed timeline I see the task name, task start and end dates and time.  Are you working with SP-1 installed to Project 2010?  Is your date/time display set to show date and time? 

On the Format tab which appears when you select the Timeline, have you set the date format to show date/time?

Have you formatted the text to show multiple lines?

Are your tasks linked? 

Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:25 PM
  • Sorry, I can't duplicate what you report.  When I add tasks to a detailed timeline I see the task name, task start and end dates and time.  Are you working with SP-1 installed to Project 2010?  Is your date/time display set to show date and time? 

On the Format tab which appears when you select the Timeline, have you set the date format to show date/time?

Have you formatted the text to show multiple lines?

Are your tasks linked? 

Yes they are linked and yes i'm running SP1 on Project 2010.

Try set your tasks to start and end on the same day and give each task a duration of 2 hours. You will not be able to see the enter contents of the task in timeline view. I have formatted the task to show multiple lines.

pajoryan123
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:07 PM
  • Pajoryan:

Is this what you are looking for?

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Pajoryan:

Is this what you are looking for?

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Yes. How do you show timeline for a single day and by hour?

thanks.

pajoryan123
    Monday, January 9, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Pajoryan:

In my example, you will notice I simply added three tasks and placed them on the timeline.  Simple enough when all you have is three tasks, except that when you have an entire schedule - you must Zoom the Timeline.

Place the tasks you want on the timeline, then select the Timeline portion of the view to make it the active window (the left bar will turn darker).  In the lower right corner click the "+" sign or move the zoom slider to zoom in on the view.  You will note that you can zoom all the way in to two-hour intervals.  You may have to use the horizontal scroll to get to the particular day you want to see, but it is easier to simply click on a task in the Gantt chart area and the timeline view will scroll to that task.

Hope this helps.

Monday, January 9, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Pajoryan:

In my example, you will notice I simply added three tasks and placed them on the timeline.  Simple enough when all you have is three tasks, except that when you have an entire schedule - you must Zoom the Timeline.

Place the tasks you want on the timeline, then select the Timeline portion of the view to make it the active window (the left bar will turn darker).  In the lower right corner click the "+" sign or move the zoom slider to zoom in on the view.  You will note that you can zoom all the way in to two-hour intervals.  You may have to use the horizontal scroll to get to the particular day you want to see, but it is easier to simply click on a task in the Gantt chart area and the timeline view will scroll to that task.

Hope this helps.

Ya this works. However it's not what i'm after.

Is there view or report I can use to print a list of tasks for a particular day and have them display according to their schedule?

e.g.

Task 1 - 08:00 - 10:00 - Joe, Mary, John

Task 2 - 10:00 - 12:00 - John, Dave

Task 3 - 14:00 - 15:00 - Brian

thanks for your help so far

pajoryan123
    Monday, January 9, 2012 7:15 PM
  • Pajoryan:

There are default basic reports that exist, located on the Project tab.  However, to get the type of report you have displayed, I would recommend setting up a custom table with the information you wish to see, then create a custom task report, using the custom table.

1.  Start with the Gantt Chart view and the Entry table.  Next, save the current fields as a new table.  VIEW tab>TABLES>Save Fields as a New Table  Give the table a name that resembles the information it contains, i.e. Timeline table

2. Remove (hide) all fields except Task Name, Start, Finish, and Resource Names.

3.  Go to the options area and change how the information in the Start and Finsh fields is displayed.  FILE>OPTIONS  On the General Tab, under Project View select the date format you want to see in the in Start and Finish fields.  I do not recommend using time only, but if that is what you want - go for it.  Just remember that this will change how all of your start and finish fields will look.

4.  Now, let's create the custom task report.  Click the Project tab, select the Reports button then double click on Custom...  From here click once on Task, then select the COPY button.  Give your report a name that defines what it is, i.e. "Task Timeline Report", then select the custom table you made in #1 above.

5.  Click OK, then click Select and you are viewing the custom report you just made.

Now that you have created a custom report, al you have to do is call it up each time you wish to view that info.  You can also chose to edit it before you view it.  This comes in handy when you want to select certain time periods to view.

Hope this is what you are after. 

Monday, January 9, 2012 9:39 PM
  • Pajoryan:

There are default basic reports that exist, located on the Project tab.  However, to get the type of report you have displayed, I would recommend setting up a custom table with the information you wish to see, then create a custom task report, using the custom table.

1.  Start with the Gantt Chart view and the Entry table.  Next, save the current fields as a new table.  VIEW tab>TABLES>Save Fields as a New Table  Give the table a name that resembles the information it contains, i.e. Timeline table

2. Remove (hide) all fields except Task Name, Start, Finish, and Resource Names.

3.  Go to the options area and change how the information in the Start and Finsh fields is displayed.  FILE>OPTIONS  On the General Tab, under Project View select the date format you want to see in the in Start and Finish fields.  I do not recommend using time only, but if that is what you want - go for it.  Just remember that this will change how all of your start and finish fields will look.

4.  Now, let's create the custom task report.  Click the Project tab, select the Reports button then double click on Custom...  From here click once on Task, then select the COPY button.  Give your report a name that defines what it is, i.e. "Task Timeline Report", then select the custom table you made in #1 above.

5.  Click OK, then click Select and you are viewing the custom report you just made.

Now that you have created a custom report, al you have to do is call it up each time you wish to view that info.  You can also chose to edit it before you view it.  This comes in handy when you want to select certain time periods to view.

Hope this is what you are after. 

Hi Gregg,

This is a good step in the right direction.

I have 2 issues though. I'd like to exclude the "footer" from the bottom of each page that contains the project name, date etc. see here:

The other issue is that when I apply a date filter to the report it does not prompt me to enter dates when i select the report. it just outputs all tasks for every date.

see here:

thoughts?

Thanks very much for your assistance so far.

pajoryan123
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 8:13 AM
  •  

Anyone know how to exclude the above footer and the gantt chart from reports?

pajoryan123
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:44 PM
  • This looks more like a legend from the Gantt chart print than a report.  To turn off the legend:

File > Print.

Click the Page Setup link (see below)

then click on the Legend tab.  Set the legend to "None".

I hope this helps.

Julie

• Proposed as answer by Ismet Kocaman Friday, January 13, 2012 9:29 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 9:29 PM
  • The other issue is that when I apply a date filter to the report it does not prompt me to enter dates when i select the report. it just outputs all tasks for every date.

see here:

thoughts?

Thanks very much for your assistance so far.

pajoryan123

This is just the report settings, as soon as you run the report, you should get a popup asking for the dates. So simply run the report?

EDIT: As I think of it, you might also want to edit the 'Period' field. Instead of the whole project, set it to days? I can't run any reports at the moment but I'll check as soon as I can.

• Edited by Koen Damen Friday, January 13, 2012 9:30 AM
    Friday, January 13, 2012 9:13 AM
  • you might also want to edit the 'Period' field. Instead of the whole project, set it to days?

Where can I find the "period" field?

thanks

pajoryan123
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:05 AM
  • In the Task Report dialog:

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:59 PM
  • In the Task Report dialog:

Something strange going one.

I have set up the report as you suggest. However it still dumps out all tasks.

any suggestions?

pajoryan123
    Monday, January 23, 2012 9:22 AM
  • Setting the period to Days does not restrict tasks in the report.  The date range filter should allow you to show only a specific date range.  You may also need to install the June 2011 cumulative update.  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536590

Julie

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:51 PM
  • Setting the period to Days does not restrict tasks in the report.  The date range filter should allow you to show only a specific date range.  You may also need to install the June 2011 cumulative update.  See:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2536590

Julie

Setting the period to "Entire Project" does not help. Although the report prompts me to enter a date range is still displays tasks from all dates.

Cumulative update had already been installed.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

pajoryan123
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:46 AM
  • Just to step back and make sure we aren't talking past each other.

You have a custom report "Task Timeline Report" using a custom "Timeline" table.

When you run the "Date Range" filter as part of the report, you are entering a range of dates but it still shows you tasks from the entire project.

• Are you still seeing summary tasks beyond the date range?  If so, that is expected unless you explicitly exclude summary tasks by modifying the "Date Range" filter.

What happens if you set the date range in the Page Setup dialog?

Friday, February 3, 2012 1:27 PM