Web Service Total Current Connections\Exchange Web Services RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I ran a script to see who is currently connecting to my Exchange 2010 Cas server. I want to decomission them.

For Web Service Total Current Connections  and Exchange Web services I am getting the following:

ServerName : 
    RPC        : 0
    OWA        : 0
    EAS        : 0
    IMAP       :
    POP        :
    WSR        : 3
    WST        : 7

WSR  = Exchange Web Services Requests/Sec
    WST  = Web Service (IIS) Total Current Connections

What does this mean exactly? is the CAS server safe to decomission with these connections?

If not how can i get them off?

Thanks

Friday, October 28, 2016 8:11 PM

Answers

• If you've pointed all your URLs and load balancer to a different server, you should be good to decommission.  You can double-check by looking at the IIS logs.

In my experience, the worst thing are SMTP clients like document scanners and mail-sending servers that are hard-coded with the IP address of he server you're decommissioning.  To see if there any of those, set protocol logging to Verbose on the receive connectors and look at the SMTP receive protocol log.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Sunday, October 30, 2016 4:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jason.ChaoModerator Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:10 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 8:50 PM
  • Hi berketjun,

Web Service(_Total)\Current Connections: Shows the current number of connections established with the Web service. Determines current user load.

MSExchangeWS\Requests/sec: Shows the number of requests processed each second. Determines current user load.

Please see: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff367877(v=exchg.141).aspx

Agree with Ed, as a supplement before trying to uninstall a CAS server it is also important to make sure that this server is not used to distribute the OAB to the Outlook client.

Please refer to the blog: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2015/08/26/decommissioning-legacy-exchange-servers/

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 31, 2016 7:24 AM

All replies

• If you've pointed all your URLs and load balancer to a different server, you should be good to decommission.  You can double-check by looking at the IIS logs.

In my experience, the worst thing are SMTP clients like document scanners and mail-sending servers that are hard-coded with the IP address of he server you're decommissioning.  To see if there any of those, set protocol logging to Verbose on the receive connectors and look at the SMTP receive protocol log.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Amit Tank Sunday, October 30, 2016 4:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jason.ChaoModerator Thursday, November 10, 2016 9:10 AM
    Friday, October 28, 2016 8:50 PM
  • Hi berketjun,

Web Service(_Total)\Current Connections: Shows the current number of connections established with the Web service. Determines current user load.

MSExchangeWS\Requests/sec: Shows the number of requests processed each second. Determines current user load.

Please see: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff367877(v=exchg.141).aspx

Agree with Ed, as a supplement before trying to uninstall a CAS server it is also important to make sure that this server is not used to distribute the OAB to the Outlook client.

Please refer to the blog: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mspfe/2015/08/26/decommissioning-legacy-exchange-servers/

Hope it helps.

BR.

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answer if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, October 31, 2016 7:24 AM
  • Thanks should i worry if i see anything in the send logs as well?

Also these log files are only for the specified server correct?

Monday, October 31, 2016 2:04 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. Don't worry about that.

Yes, it for specific server.

BR.

Jason Chao

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:56 AM