none
Dissappearing Task Names MS Project V2016 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have recently suffered this issue for the first time but am using V2007 and the only thing we did was collapse and re-expand indented task rollups. 

    I created a schedule file of about 500 or so tasks where each of 20 or so projects are rolled up for a calendar year so I see multiple summary tasks and then expand each project as needed to update status or make changes to the task durations, etc.  The first time this happened to me I was expanding and collapsing summary tasks and after expanding some projects the tasks toward the bottom of the list were blank.  Having to go back to earlier files is a fix but it is very unsettling to me to not realize this is happening and save the file only to find it is corrupted later.

    The issue happens randomly and is not discovered until you expand the plus sign for each project.  This has shaken my confidence in this software as well as management at the site I am working at.  

    It has been suggested that the issue may be due to low virtual memory or low RAM.  The laptop I am using only has 8GB of RAM and I use a lot of applications at one time so this may be the cause.  

    Any helpful advice would be appreciated. I was going to suggest upgrading to V2013 but I see this is still an issue for platforms past V2007.


    • Edited by MankeB Thursday, June 1, 2017 12:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:46 PM

All replies

  • This sounds like an old bug in PS 2007.    Update project server to the most recent CU or search thru the bug fixes to find which CU fixed that bug. 

    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Friday, March 10, 2017 4:50 AM
    Moderator
  • I have upgraded the program to the 32bit  2016 version of Project Professional and am only using the client software - There is not server for our application.

    I opened and used the old V2007 created file and used it for about 2 weeks and the disappearing task name issue happened again with this version as well.  All tasks below the current screen were affected so when I scrolled down the task is there, outline is intact ,the duration, pred, and resource data is there but the task name is BLANK!

    One thing I am trying now is to export the data file to XML and then reopen in V2016.  This strips the formatting out but I am now using this version of the file to see if the issue persists.

    Bob

    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:52 PM
  • I also upgraded the RAM to 16GB so that is not the issue.

    Bob

    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:54 PM
  • Dear MankeB,

    I am working with MSP Server 2010 and have same problem as you.Do you find a solution for this?Let me now if you find it!

    Regards,

    Armaghan

    Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:41 AM
  • I have not been able to resolve this issue but the best thing I would suggest trying now is to export the file to an XML format and then reopen with MS Project.  MY original file was created in V2007 and when I did this using V2016 the file needed reformatting but since I did this I have not seen the issue but its only been a week so far.  The last time this happened to me it was over 3 weeks of usage with no issue then bam it happened again using V2016 and a V2007 created file.   
    Friday, May 12, 2017 7:05 PM
  • I can now confirm the issue is NOT resolved with exporting a file originally created in V2007 to XML and re-importing into V2016 Professional.  Back to square one but I have had only 1 instance happen in 2 months. 


    Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:02 PM
  • So no one has figured out how to resolve this bug?  Except to re-enter all the missing task descriptions?  Has MS customer service

    responded?

    Monday, January 22, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Just make sure that all your filters are turned off.   Filters can hide a task and you may not be aware.

    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Tuesday, January 23, 2018 6:18 PM
    Moderator
  • I've seen this problem drive by a few times (including this morning) and to date it has always been rooted in something messed up in the Global.mpt file.

    Before you try anything drastic try inserting the Task Name column again (leave the existing Name column in view). If the newly inserted Task Name column is populated then you might be missing a table used by the Gantt Chart view in which case you can recreate it. Note, the second Task Name column you inserted may be missing task indentation but the outline levels remain intact.

    The most expedient fix is for another user to open the file, in some cases this will rectify the problem. If that user then saves the file (locally or to the server) then you're all done. If this doesn't work you'll need to recreate the table used by the Gantt Chart view.

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 3:54 PM