Office 2007 Proxies not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Sequencing Machine: Windows 7 x64, running 4.6x64 RTM sequencer.
    Client Machine: Windows 7 x64, running 4.6x64 RTM Client.
    Version of Office: 2010 Pro Plus 32-bit (14.0.4755.1000).

OffVirt cmdline run on sequencer:
    msiexec.exe /i offvirt.msi ADDLOCAL=Click2runMapi,Click2runOWSSupp,Click2runWDS,OSpp,OSpp_Core,OSppWoW64 USEROPERATIONS=1 PIDKEYS=<pidkey removed>

OffVirt cmdline run on client:
    msiexec.exe /i "C:\OffVirt.msi" ADDDEFAULT="Click2runOneNoteProxy,Click2runOutlookProxies,Click2runWDSProxy,Click2runOWSSuppProxies,OSppWoW64" PACKAGEGUID="{16EE498B-95A2-42A7-82AA-3BDC1154E209}" PACKAGEVERSION="14.0.4755.1000" OUTLOOKNAME="Microsoft Outlook 2010" ONENOTENAME="Microsoft OneNote 2010" MAPISERVER="Microsoft Virtual Office Simple Mapi Proxy Server" VIRTUALSEARCHHOST="Search MAPI Protocol Handler Host" MLCFG32CPL="Windows Control Panel" OWSSUPPServer="Microsoft SharePoint Client Support Manager 14.0.4755.1000" PIDKEYS=<pidkey removed> USEROPERATION=1

Things of note: I followed the MS recipe TO THE LETTER, and it refuses to run. I added the proxy apps to the package like so: "%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\virtualization handler\MapiServer.exe" but since the offvirt installs to Program files (x86) I changed %commonprogramfiles% to %commonprogramfiles(x86)% I even tried copying the files to the non x86 folder manually, nothing.

The names I provided in the client command line are DIRECT copies of the names of the apps in the package. As a matter of fact, the error references "Virtual Search Host" but I don't even know where it is GETTING that name from.

[09/10/2010 10:01:14:989 AMGR ERR] {tid=9B0:usr=fulbripd}
    The Application Virtualization Client cannot open Virtual Search Host 

[09/10/2010 10:01:15:045 TRAY ERR] {tid=9B0:usr=fulbripd}
    The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested.

The specified application does not exist. Check the name you specified, and then try again.

Error code: 4605F3-0B211204-00000A09

[09/10/2010 10:19:59:267 AMGR ERR] {tid=FFC:usr=fulbripd}
    The Application Virtualization Client cannot open Mail Control Panel 

[09/10/2010 10:19:59:307 TRAY ERR] {tid=43C:usr=fulbripd}
    The Application Virtualization Client could not launch the application you requested.

The specified application does not exist. Check the name you specified, and then try again.

Error code: 4605F3-0B211204-00000A09

Now I can VAppLaunch /launch "Windows Control Panel" or "Search MAPI Protocol Handler Host" all day long.

I have also tried a version of this package where it was called "Virtual Search Host" and I could run THAT all day long too. Also note that the control panel applet doesnt work if you click on it in the control panel, but I can launch the app all day long via ACDC or vapplauncher.

At this point without knowing what is trying to run the search host, what command line it's trying to run it as, I'm kind of dead in the water. The logging in App-V sucks.

I mean I copied and pasted what it said couldn't be run "Virtual Search Host" and it worked. and what the ____ is the deal with the cntrol panel applet? Thats as simple as simple gets. %windir%\system32\Control.exe <path to .cpl> and it just flat out says "doesn't exist".

Any help would be great!

Friday, September 10, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It seems that the error message is referencing only the name of the application you specified (not the version-number).

Last time I heard this someone was executing the installation of the office-proxy from a non-elevated cmd.

/Znack

• Marked as answer by Alcaron Friday, September 10, 2010 6:21 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It seems that the error message is referencing only the name of the application you specified (not the version-number).

Last time I heard this someone was executing the installation of the office-proxy from a non-elevated cmd.

/Znack

• Marked as answer by Alcaron Friday, September 10, 2010 6:21 PM
    Friday, September 10, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Veritable fountain of knowledge.

One wonders why such a simple detail ISN'T a part of their recipe.

Friday, September 10, 2010 6:21 PM
  • Hello,

Actually it is, this is quoted from the prescriptive guidance;
    To enable the virtual proxies for the package open a command prompt as an administrator.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462

/Znack

Friday, September 10, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Hello,

Actually it is, this is quoted from the prescriptive guidance;
    To enable the virtual proxies for the package open a command prompt as an administrator.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983462

/Znack

Nice, stupid me I used the link the Ms support person gave me, which does NOT point to that page. Should have known better.

I am currently bouncing back and forth between the appv and vs2010 support people right now, none of them can figure out who needs to fix the licensing problem. I can only hope their "help" amounts to what it did for office 2010.

Friday, September 10, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Remeber you might need to change the change all the " on the command line. If you directly copy and pasted the command line from the website and changed only the names you will almost definately need to go and change all the " marks.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:16 PM