none
How do I restore system databases to an alternate SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Please point me to the documentation/procedure to restore system databases to an alternate server.

Thanks.

Tom Morris
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Take a look at the technet:  Recovering SQL Server Data

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399066.aspx

Cheers.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Did you try restoring the master to the destination server with a different name?

Once the file is attached, do a SQL backup of it and then follow SQL steps on how to restore a Master database to a different server....

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, October 28, 2011 8:13 AM
  • When I restored to an alternate server with a different name a VSS error occured. Same error two different servers. Did this work for you?

VSS provider in bad state. Either it was already in a bad state... (ID 30111)

Tom Morris
    Friday, October 28, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Are the OS (source/destination) different versions?

Like the backup was taken on a SQL Server running on Windows 2008 and restored to another SQL Server running on Windows 2008 R2.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:03 AM
  • Both versions are Windows 2008 R2 (Standard and Datacenter). Can you restore the Master database to an alternate server with a different name?

Tom

Tom Morris
    Monday, October 31, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Yes,  you can restore master with a different name to another SQL server as long as it isn't the latest backup. If you need to restore the latest then you can select the option to select to a network folder of your destination SQL Server.

Monday, October 31, 2011 7:44 PM
  • I can't restore any backup of the Master. Same VSS error.

And a couple new questions.

Why can't I restore the latest backup of Master to a different server?

How do I restore Master when I save it to a network share?

Thanks

Tom Morris
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:26 PM
  • You will get an error saying that the SQL Version on the destination doesn't match the one on the source (even though they are the same).

Take a look at these articles:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345408.aspx

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/1604/move-all-sql-server-system-databases-at-one-time/

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Are you responding to my questions? They are not relevant to the problems I am having.

Tom Morris
    Monday, October 31, 2011 9:57 PM
  • Yep.. you came up with new questions on your last post... these are the ones I addressed...

Monday, October 31, 2011 9:59 PM