Vista Upgrade from XP freeze at end of install RRS feed

• Question

• When I install vista I freeze at 'completing installation' I dont know how to get past this... i just have to revert back to xp....
    Monday, July 3, 2006 5:59 AM

All replies

• I have the same problem, I tried it twize now..
    Friday, September 29, 2006 5:07 PM
  • I had that problem a little while ago. i reset and loaded safe mode (low video graphics) left it to do its job and it worked.
    Saturday, September 30, 2006 2:39 AM
  •  clarky2o2o wrote:
    I had that problem a little while ago. i reset and loaded safe mode (low video graphics) left it to do its job and it worked.

What about when it restarts then? I automaticly runs in normal mode then dosn't it?

Sunday, October 1, 2006 4:44 PM
  • When i was in safe mode and actually able to do somehting i installed the latest ATI drivers for my x800xt (32bit drivers) restarted and it worked without much problems.

For some reason though even though i dont read from the DVD it just wont boot without one in the drive.
    Monday, October 2, 2006 12:42 AM
  • I had read in another blog that this part of the upgrade could last for hours, so maybe it's a matter of waiting.  I am currently upgrading and it has been in the "completing upgrade" part for 5 hours.  I'll let you know how long it takes.....
    Monday, October 2, 2006 9:02 PM
  • Any news about how long it takes?
    Monday, October 9, 2006 11:41 AM
  • I upgraded rc2 from, rc1 and it took 3 HOURS
    Monday, October 9, 2006 12:36 PM
  • I have been sitting on completing upgrade... for about 5 hours now, going to sleep and praying it will be done when I wake up!  i am going from xpsp2 to rc1
    Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:28 AM
  • sure enough, it was up and waiting this morning...what could it have possibly been doing all this time...anyoen know if there is a log somewhere with details on the install?  It ran for at leats 6.5 hours I know of just sitting on "Completing upgrade" . You could see disk activity intermittently, so you know it was workig, but very slowly!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 1:11 PM
  • how can you tell what stage of the install process the upgrade is in? everything worked ok i installed all disc as requested and then it restarted and has been on the black screen now for about 8 hours. first it retrieved all files then it gathered files then expanded files then it restarted i can not use the keyboard because there are no lights lit up on it. i am not sure as to what to do how long should a upgrade take? i ran the advisor and it stated that everything was ok no need for any additional drivers for premium home edition. I have a Dell XPS 400 with 1gig of memory and a 140gig HD. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:33 AM
  • The problem I had seemed to be the driver for the intel wireless, was using 100% of the CPU, but there was no way to find out or kill it during the install.  It finally finished about 12 hours later (next morning when I woke up it was done, and when I rebooted i had the same problem system was horribly slow, but I was able to resolve because I could get to talsk manager).  Leave it alone and check it tomarrow.

GBY,

-R

Thursday, January 11, 2007 3:28 AM
  • The only thing is the hard disk light is solid there seems to be no activity. I downloaded the iso files from the msdn site disk 1-5 everything went ok i could see the following steps.

1. Downloading files 2. gathering files 3. expanding files

Then the system rebooted and when it came back on there was a black screen with green bars across the bottom, the hard drive light just stays on there seems to be no activity. I am not sure as to what to do and this is supposed to be the final release for Jan. 30th. Could you see the status of your install? The funny thing is i have no contol over anything because the keyboard is not functional during this time.

Thursday, January 11, 2007 2:13 PM
  • My installation has been madeningly slow, going on almost 24 hours from the time I first inerted the disks, but it continues to make steady progress and should complete without having to start over. Don't give up on it if your hard drive light shows signs of life. Oh yeah, I have a Dell XPS 400 with dual core processor and 2 GB of RAM. No idea why it is so slow. I had a clean copy of XP on there prior to installing Vista. I think it may be the version I'm installing. It is the business version and is a volume license from my employer.
    Friday, January 19, 2007 1:58 PM
  • At what phase of the installation are you hanging?

Vista has 4 phases of installation when upgrading:

Phase 1: It gathers information about your system, you enter product key, select the version and this phases ends after expanded files are collected.

Phased 2: Starts with Installing features and updates, this is where Vista excutes setup.exe from x:\$Windows.~BT\

Phase 3: First boot, you are booting into Vista for the first time. You'll be completing upgrade, also after first boot you can remove the DVD. The installation is being run from a virtual image now. HAL configuration and minimal plug and play drivers are configured along with reassembled drivers from the previously installed os.

Phase 4: Second reboot, key functions are cleanup of old os files and rollback files. WinSAT runs a series of tests to determine whether the computer is capable of using Aero Glass theme and first login to Windows Vista.

No matter what phase you are freezing or hanging in an Error log is created if there is a problem. During any phase of installation hit shift+F10 will give you a command prompt. The logs are located c:\windows\Panther

Friday, January 19, 2007 7:48 PM