Hosted Branch Cache - What happens when a user goes in another office? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

So I am currently in the process of running a proof of concept of Branch Cache with a remote office that is located furthest away from our HQ. As the title describes, it's a Hosted Cache setup, and as far as I can tell, it seems to be working fine. If I open a 100mb file, the first time I access it, it takes quite some time as it needs to be downloaded and cached.

Second time I open the same file, there is quite a noticeable difference in the time it takes to open.

What happens if this user has to go to another office with no branch cache capabilities? Especially considering the latency is set to 0ms. Would this mean that if I open the same file, it will go first to the file server, and receive the hash from the hosted cache server and open it from there? I'm kind of confused on this part and can't seem to find anything clear on it.

Thanks!!!

Stephane

Thursday, November 9, 2017 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When you deploy hosted cache mode, all clients in a multiple-subnet branch office can access a single cache, which is stored on the hosted cache server, even if the clients are on different subnets.

Caution:If you use BranchCache for SMB caching of files and folders, do not disable Offline Files. If you disable Offline Files, BranchCache SMB caching does not function correctly.

More information about branchcache,  please refer to the following article:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831696%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#BKMK_2

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 10, 2017 9:13 AM
  • if the file had been downloaded into the Offline Files cache - then it would be retrieved from there.

Otherwise - it would go back to the content server and get it from there.

thanks

Phil

Phil Wilcock http://2pintsoftware.com @2pintsoftware

Monday, November 13, 2017 4:52 PM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Monday, November 20, 2017 1:44 AM