Managing External Clients RRS feed

• Question

• I have finally set up a test environement on our build bench.  The client computers are on my corporate network that comunicate through internet connection to our build bench.  I then have port fowarding to our site server.  I have installed three clients, lets say EPV01, EPV02, and EPV03.  When I install EPV01 the site server showed it in the collections.  I then installed EPV02, and then the site server replaced the name of EPV01 to be EPV02.  After I installed EPV03 it did the same thing.  My question:

Can you only manage one client computer per external IP address when managing internet clients only?

Thanks,

John
    Friday, February 5, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

• No, this isn't right.  Each client should be uniquely identifiable independently from its IP address and the unique value (typically the computer FQDN) in the client authentication certificate helps to ensure that. 

Are you sure that each of these clients have their own certificate with a different value in the certificate Subject or SAN?  If you installed the same certificate on each client, that might explain the behavior you describe because to Configuration Manager, they share the same identity - so Configuration Manager thinks it's the same client and updates the computer name with the latest one it's given.  This behavior allows Configuration Manager to keep the same record for a native mode client that moves to another domain or changes its computer name.

- Carol

This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by John-K Monday, February 8, 2010 6:38 PM
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:05 PM