none
Can't delete Sites. This site cannot be deleted because it is on hold for eDiscovery.

Question

• Hello.

I'm the Site Collection Administrator of a SharePoint Online site collection (don't have Tenant Administrator permissions).  In an automated Windows Service we create subsites every day with a custom template.

Usuarlly, when a site creation fails, we delete the failed site and create it again. But since last week I can't delete sites. I get the following error:

"This site cannot be deleted because it is on hold for eDiscovery."

I contacted the Tenant Administrator and the Site Collection I work with seems to have a "lock" icon. I don't know what could've caused this situation. 

For what I've researched, there may be items "holding" the sites from being deleted, but all the lists and librearies are Empty, as you can see:

Can you provide me any tips of what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, February 13, 2017 8:49 AM

All replies

• Please guys, if you have any answer to this question, help us a lot :)

Thanks and KR,

Anderson

Monday, February 13, 2017 12:49 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the site is on hold. I suggest you try following methods to check which is on hold.

1. Go to Office 365 Admin > Admin > SharePoint > Site collections, and check whether there is an eDiscovery site collection whose URL may be like domainname.sharepoint.com/.../eDiscovery . If yes, open it and click Cases on the right panel. Check whether there are any cases under Cases. If yes, click the case > eDiscovery Sets > click the item name in the list > click Disable In-Place Hold > click Save.

2. If you don’t have any eDiscovery cases, please delete “K2 Appit for SharePoint” and “Power BI” apps before deleting this subsite.

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:07 AM
  • We are trying do that, in this right moment, we don´t have authorizazion to delete the apps.

If works, we will tell you Dean,

Thank you so much

Anderson

Anderson Marques

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hi,

Waiting for your update :)

Thanks,

Dean Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 16, 2017 9:54 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem but I don't have any of the apps. Getting a bit desperate!
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Sorry team, looks like my mobile was having issues while typing. 

As suggested by Dean, it is true to disable in place hold but cases from Record Manager or Compliance manager has to check why there was hold initiated. If it is technical issue, E-discovery sets needs to be verified, along with query strings. In most of the common scenarios this happens in two situations either there is hold case or expired string that was not removed completely even after case release or force removal. I hope this insight would be helpful to have some insights to  check in Office Admin center - E-Discv, compliance record management on exchange end. 

thanks and regards,

Mahesh Neelannavar 

Friday, March 10, 2017 1:47 PM