Word Starter 2010 not recognized when opening DOCX documents RRS feed

• Question

• When I use Word Starter 2010 to create documents (as .docx) the documents do not recognize Word Starter as the originating application. It is necessary to open Word Starter and then open the .docx document from within Word Starter. I tried to associate Word Starter with the document type using the default program tab in the control panel, however default program does not find Word Starter application. Also having problem with Windows Live Mail where mail with .docx attachments are rejected as dangerous file types. Running System 7, current on updates - any suggestions??
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 12:21 AM

Answers

• These problems were caused by a recent Windows update. Try repairing Office (via Programs & Features > Microsoft Office > Change in the Windows Control Panel).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by TylorWang Monday, November 11, 2013 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, November 11, 2013 5:05 PM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:21 AM

All replies

• These problems were caused by a recent Windows update. Try repairing Office (via Programs & Features > Microsoft Office > Change in the Windows Control Panel).

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Proposed as answer by TylorWang Monday, November 11, 2013 8:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Monday, November 11, 2013 5:05 PM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your opinion on the issue

Regards

Friday, November 29, 2013 6:43 AM

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks for your help!!!  Going into Control Panel and doing the repair seems to fixed the problem for me.  I realize that it is not your fault that it was broken.   However I have to ask, if Microsoft knew that their Windows update broke certain functions or features in Office, then why didn't Microsoft fix the problem rather than having a whole lot of pissed off users who don't understand why Office isn't working anymore?  It would have saved me 90 minutes of looking for solutions (or buying one of the "recommended" Office packages--maybe that is why MS is not fixing the problem they created). 

Happy Holidays!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:50 AM
  • if Microsoft knew that their Windows update broke certain functions or features in Office, then why didn't Microsoft fix the problem rather than having a whole lot of pissed off users who don't understand why Office isn't working anymore?

IMHO the whole issue goes back to inadequate testing of the update before it was released. I do agree, though, that having broken Office, it was incumbent upon MS to fix it ASAP. This they appear not to have done - even belatedly.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:41 AM