none
MCU multiple front-end pools RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering which MCU is used in a multi front-end pool environment. Back in Lync 2010, the MCU was used on the pool where the conference organizer was registered. 

We have a pool in the US, which registers the AMER region users. We also have a pool in EMEA, which registers the EMEA users. Now, we have some complaints about media performance, and according to the logs, the MCU in EMEA was used while the organizer of the meeting is registered in the AMER region. 

I have been searching high and low, but cannot find any information on Lync modalities in a multi farm environment. Hope someone cane help me out here.

Answers provided are coming from personal experience, and come with no warranty of success. I as everybody else do make mistakes.

Monday, November 19, 2018 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Killerbe,

Based on my research, you could refer to the following two official document and do some references: Calls, flows, conversations, and MCU sessions and Conference scheduling and management

According to the official document, by default a conference has two MCUs, one for instant messages, and another for audio/video media. When application join an ad hoc conference using the BeginJoin method. Microsoft Unified Communications Managed API 5.0 schedules a conference that is valid for eight hours and adds an MCU for each ConferenceMcuSessionFactory registered in the platform. After a successful join operation, the application is connected only to the Focus and there are no active media flows with the MCUs. All MCU notifications are sent to the Focus first for aggregation and are then sent to the respective conference participants. In addition, any conference command is first sent to the Focus which then dispatches it to the appropriate MCU. Command responses are proxied back to the conference participant through the Focus as well. However, all media flows occur directly with the MCUs for efficiency.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 6:05 AM
  • Thanks for the information, i have read the two proposed articles and read following reference topology: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skype-sdk/ucma/reference-topology-with-high-availability-and-multiple-data-center

This document does confirm that the basic concept of the design is valid. Meaning two Data centers, one for the data-center AMER and one for the data-center in EMEA. Users in the AMER region should use the Focus, Media and IM MCU in the AMER data-center, and not the IM/AV MCU - Focus in the EMEA Data-center.

So what we see in practice does not comply to what should happen according to theory. 

Have ran the Lync BPA, however it reports no issue's. 

Answers provided are coming from personal experience, and come with no warranty of success. I as everybody else do make mistakes.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Hi Killerbe,

Maybe you could try to check other scenes which are same as the meeting, check it whether also shows the same behavior. If behaviors are different, there may be something wrong with the organizer’s account.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 22, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hi Killerbe,

Is there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Monday, November 26, 2018 6:41 AM