Dynamic Management pack for custom monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am looking for some simplified solution to monitor the applications on Windows platform (services, Events, Process, log files). If I Keep the details of the monitoring parameters (Service details, Event details etc) in an .xml file on the windows agent can we create a management pack so that it will dynamically pick up the monitoring parameters from the xml file on the agents and monitor the applications. Does anyone has any Idea towards it?

Regards,

Sujith

Sunday, November 22, 2015 2:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Sujith,

I am not quite sure if I understand your requirement right, but what you are basically describing is the Management Pack itself.

You can create all your monitors (use Windows Service template or create and configure unit monitors) and target those only to the systems you want to get the data from. You have great flexibility in SCOM, because you can create custom groups of systems and target only those groups for specific monitoring type (service, event monitor, etc.).

Let's assume you have App1 on 15 Systems and App 2 on another 10 systems. To be a bit complexer, let's assume you have computers running both Apps. You can create a custom group in SCOM, which contains only computers on which App 1 runs. You could name the MP after the application you want to monitor (it's just a suggestion). Then you have the second group, containing only computers running App 2. This way some of the computers will end up in both groups.

So when you have the groups, you can configure your monitors (service monitor, process monitor, log file, event, etc.) with the settings required for App 1 and target all of those monitors only to the group for App1. This way only those computers will get the .xml and will return the data in regards to your configuration. The same for App 2.

Here are some examples, using this approach and targeting custom groups. They will give you a good overview on the topic:

SCOM - Monitoring a Service - Part 4 basic app mp

and

SCOM monitoring multiple services running under one account or similar names

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask. Regards,

Stoyan (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Tuesday, December 8, 2015 3:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:13 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2015 1:29 PM