System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) (CheckSur) RRS feed

• Question

• Arrrghh! Going bonkers here.

We're rolling out Windows 7 SP1 across several thousand machines, via Software Updates, and getting reports of a few users who are getting a failed install.

In all the cases so far, I have been able to fix them by getting the user to download the System Readiness Update Tool, which appears to install using the Windows Standalone Installer (WUSA.exe) and does a one-time scan and fixes packages under C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages which, for some reason, sometimes don’t match with corresponding names in the registry.

Great so far....but we want a more pro-active fix, so I've created a Software Update Deployment in SCCM for this update (which fortunately is available as a regular Software Update from MS). Now the 'blurb' on this update states that "The System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) is offered, only when there is a problem that the tool could resolve.” 

And sure enough, SCCM reports only a small number of machines 'requiring' this update and shows the machines that already installed this update from MS as status "Installed". So presumably there are some installable rules at work here, for the update to know which machines may have problems with their Windows Service Packages. Despite this, there seems to be no way of forcing the delivery of this update to a test machine. I've tried to replicate the issues that we've seen on other machines and sat patiently to see if SCCM updates and picks up the test machine, but no joy.

Also, once you install this update from MS, you can't remove it. It's not installed in the regular way, with a listing in "Installed Updates" and any attempts to remove the KB via MSIEXEC and WUSA result in messages which state that KB947821 is not installed on the machine. Yet a machine that has run the update in the past will report "Installed" against SCCM.

The Update does stick an entry in the registry when installed, under:

HKLM>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Component Based Servicing>ApplicationEvaluationCache>Package_for_KB947821~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.1.1.0

I've tried deleting this and then breaking one of the Service Packages (by deleting it or renaming it) to see if SCCM re-evaluates the need for the update, but nowt.

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:08 PM

Answers

• We'd recently encountered various client issues at my lab & wanted to deploy the most recent SURT, which is regularly updated by Microsoft.  The behaviors described in this thread appear to be as-designed for the tool.

CheckSUR resolves a number of errors related to the CBS architecture outlined in article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821, however forcing this to apply via SUM by way of simulated damage as you'd suggested is not recommended.  Proactive usage would consist of adding this to your baseline of updates & maintaining the latest version in the SCCM deployment when this is superceded.

SWD push is possible with a single command "wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB947821-v32-x64.msu" that Don mentioned in the SWD program.  The package will extract approx. one-half of a gigabyte to your cache, so allow the full 1GB in the program settings.  Note also that this will fail unless it's downloaded from the DP and run locally in the advertisement settings. 

ASM

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

since you're going bonkers, your question is a little difficult to determine ;)

Do you want to "push" checksur, regardless of SUM detection? (use a SWD package instead of SUM, just call "wusa.exe kbBlahBlah.msu /quiet")
    Do you want to know how to remove checksur?
    Do you want to know how to re-assert/re-execute checksur?
    Do you want to know how to break a machine so that checksur will be applicable and effective?

Don
    Friday, December 23, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Hi,

since you're going bonkers, your question is a little difficult to determine ;)

Do you want to "push" checksur, regardless of SUM detection? (use a SWD package instead of SUM, just call "wusa.exe kbBlahBlah.msu /quiet")
    Do you want to know how to remove checksur?
    Do you want to know how to re-assert/re-execute checksur?
    Do you want to know how to break a machine so that checksur will be applicable and effective?

Don

Don. Thank you for articulating my ramblings!!

Yes. Lets start with what i want to achieve:

1) How do you break a machine so that SCCM sees the machines as 'requiring' CheckSUR (I've tried renaming / deleting a Windows Servicing Package from C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages and patiently waited for my machine to become eligible for the Software Update, but to no avail).

2) If you have already installed CheckSUR, and it has run and fixed a problem, how to you force it to re-evaluate / re-execute (for instance, if you break / mismatch a Windows Servicing Package again)

3) How do you remove CheckSur so that it can be redelivered as a new Software Update.

At this stage, although it's obviously an option, I am not interested in packaging this Update for a pushed deployment.

Thanks

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:46 AM
  • We'd recently encountered various client issues at my lab & wanted to deploy the most recent SURT, which is regularly updated by Microsoft.  The behaviors described in this thread appear to be as-designed for the tool.

CheckSUR resolves a number of errors related to the CBS architecture outlined in article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821, however forcing this to apply via SUM by way of simulated damage as you'd suggested is not recommended.  Proactive usage would consist of adding this to your baseline of updates & maintaining the latest version in the SCCM deployment when this is superceded.

SWD push is possible with a single command "wusa.exe Windows6.1-KB947821-v32-x64.msu" that Don mentioned in the SWD program.  The package will extract approx. one-half of a gigabyte to your cache, so allow the full 1GB in the program settings.  Note also that this will fail unless it's downloaded from the DP and run locally in the advertisement settings. 

ASM

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:08 PM
  • We have a similar problem--deploying updates to ~86 K computers, and have a few hundred to a few thousand that will have issues monthly (not always the same computers).  Would like some way to either deploy this tool to computers that need it, deploy to all computers, whatever, and update or execute the tools when needed.  Since it's ~550 MB, I don't want to have to install when needed, would just like each computer to have it. 

Anyone found a way to do this, and run it remotely when needed?

Thanks!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:49 PM
  • To run CheckSUR again, execute:

"%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\CheckSURPackage.EXE" /Quiet /WindowsUpdate /DeleteBadCab /pkgversion=26.0 /fixcab=%windir%\CheckSur\v1.0\*.CAB /fixcab=%windir%\CheckSur\*.CAB /pkgdownload

Tested on Win7 x64.

Also, you may want to move CheckSURPackage.EXE from %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install to %windir%\CheckSUR (or to any other directory you like) to ensure it won't be lost in case of removing %windir%\SoftwareDistribution directory.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 10:42 PM