none
Dispatcher failfast is causing the Workflow Manager backend to terminate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Sharepoint 2013

1 CA server

1 WFE

None of the workflows are working.

I checked and found that the Workflow Backend Service is getting stopped again and again.

I am getting the below error -

Dispatcher failfast is causing the Workflow Manager backend to terminate. Exception: System.AggregateException: The dispatcher failure rate has reached 11%. InnerException is the last failure; see traces for other failures. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.WorkflowEventSource.EnqueuedTimeEarlierThanDueTime(System.String, System.String, Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.EventTraceActivity)'.
       at Microsoft.Workflow.Dispatcher.ServiceBusDispatcherMessage.get_CurrentTime()
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.WorkflowSessionCreated(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.Isolate(AsyncCompletion callback, IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.WorkflowEventSource.EnqueuedTimeEarlierThanDueTime(System.String, System.String, Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.EventTraceActivity)'.
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.WorkflowSessionCreated(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.Isolate(AsyncCompletion callback, IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)<---

I have followed all the rouble shooting steps mentioned in similar MSDN articles.

Kindly help.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Sangeet,

To uninstall updates, you could go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, locate updates and right-click it, then you can uninstall it.

Note: The latest update level must be installed on SharePoint Server 2013, Workflow Manager, and Workflow Manager Client before you run the update cmdlets.

Then you could refer to the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn133867(v=office.15).aspx

Run the following Windows PowerShell cmdlets as an administrator from the SharePoint Administration Shell after the updates have been installed for SharePoint Server 2013, Workflow Manager, and Workflow Manager Client.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:15 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sharepoint 2013

1 CA server

1 WFE

None of the workflows are working.

I checked and found that the Workflow Backend Service is getting stopped again and again.

I am getting the below error -

Dispatcher failfast is causing the Workflow Manager backend to terminate. Exception: System.AggregateException: The dispatcher failure rate has reached 11%. InnerException is the last failure; see traces for other failures. ---> System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.WorkflowEventSource.EnqueuedTimeEarlierThanDueTime(System.String, System.String, Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.EventTraceActivity)'.
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
    ---> (Inner Exception #0) System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.WorkflowEventSource.EnqueuedTimeEarlierThanDueTime(System.String, System.String, Microsoft.Workflow.Tracing.EventTraceActivity)'.
       at Microsoft.Activities.Dispatcher.DispatchLoopInstanceAsyncResult.ExceptionHandlingFrame(IAsyncResult result)<---

I have followed all the rouble shooting steps mentioned in similar MSDN articles.

Kindly help.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

From the error message, you might find event id 358 or 359 on the server.

Did you install any updates to SharePoint Server 2013 or Workflow Manager recently? It is important that any Cumulative Updates (CU) for SharePoint Server 2013 and Workflow Manager are installed in a coordinated fashion. After an update has been performed, several Windows PowerShell cmdlets must be run in order to maintain the connection between the SharePoint Server 2013 farm and the Workflow Manager farm.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn133867.aspx

If that is the case, please reinstall updates, and run the commands above.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 9:32 AM
  • Thanks a lot Rebecca...
    Could you also guide me for reinstalling the Cumulative updates.

My server's Service BUS, Workflow Manager and Client are all at 2.0.209.22.0 version.

Kindly let me know how I can reintall the updates and after that run the Powershell commands.Do I need to uninstall all the above three first?

Thanks,

Sangeet

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:58 AM
  • Hi Sangeet,

To uninstall updates, you could go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, locate updates and right-click it, then you can uninstall it.

Note: The latest update level must be installed on SharePoint Server 2013, Workflow Manager, and Workflow Manager Client before you run the update cmdlets.

Then you could refer to the link below:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn133867(v=office.15).aspx

Run the following Windows PowerShell cmdlets as an administrator from the SharePoint Administration Shell after the updates have been installed for SharePoint Server 2013, Workflow Manager, and Workflow Manager Client.

Regards,

Rebecca Tu

• Marked as answer by Rebecca Tu Tuesday, November 25, 2014 1:15 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:06 AM
  • 1 : Open IIS Manager.
    Under Application Pools, right-click WorkflowMgmtPool, and select Recycle… from the context menu.

2 : Open a command prompt with administrator privileges.
    Execute the following command: net stop WorkflowServiceBackend
    Execute the following command: net start WorkflowServiceBackend

3 : Reboot the server
    4 : Clearing the Caching on all boxes :https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/939308

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj193529.aspx#ServerSetup

we have also faced same problem :  Troubleshooting steps.
    Checked Workflow Manager services and related services:
    Service Bus Gateway
    Service Bus Message Broker
    Windows Fabric Host Service
    Workflow Manager Backend - repeatedly stopped and restarted; starting it (when stopped) did not resolve issue.
    Checked Windows Server Application log:
    Saw events 1000, 1026 and 7031
    Checked Microsoft Workflow logs
    Saw events 358, 359, 19 and 10
    Checked Workflow Management Site through IIS:
    Site was started.  Restarting did not resolve issue.
    Checked Workflow Management Application Pool
    Pool was started.  Restarting it did not resolve issue

in production upgrade patch ..?? it will be getting running workflow end user issue.. we will re search.. on it..

Deepesh Yevle - MCTS MCITP

Thursday, December 3, 2015 6:29 PM