none
moving to new HD

Question

• In Windows 10 I tried to run diskmgmt.msc to shrink a partition on my TB HD.  Only 105 GB are in use, but it tells me that it can only shrink down to 479 GB.
    Why?
    I am trying to fit this onto a 500 GB SSHD and it wont go.
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please execute the following steps in advance.

1#Run the Disk Cleanup Wizard, making sure to remove the hibernation file and all restore points.

2#Disable System Restore

3#Disable the pagefile ( Open System\ Advanced System Settings \ Advanced \ Performance \ Advanced \ Change \ No Paging File.

4#Disable Hibernation mode in your Power options

After above operations, defrag this drive and reboot computer, then shrink drive again to see the result.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Stezky Friday, April 14, 2017 2:55 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 2:18 AM
  • That is normal with multiple drives. The primary load files are not duplicated. They are probably in the recovery partition on C: .

If you run a system recovery tool like Macrium Reflect it will show you that, to create the files you need to recover this system you need that partition as well as the system files on E: .

Bill

• Marked as answer by Stezky Friday, April 21, 2017 12:37 AM
    Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please execute the following steps in advance.

1#Run the Disk Cleanup Wizard, making sure to remove the hibernation file and all restore points.

2#Disable System Restore

3#Disable the pagefile ( Open System\ Advanced System Settings \ Advanced \ Performance \ Advanced \ Change \ No Paging File.

4#Disable Hibernation mode in your Power options

After above operations, defrag this drive and reboot computer, then shrink drive again to see the result.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Stezky Friday, April 14, 2017 2:55 PM
    Friday, April 14, 2017 2:18 AM
  • Many thanks.  I followed instructions and got my HD cloned to the 500 GB SS hybrid drive.  Both drives are functioning together as C: and E:.
    But the new drive by itself is still not bootable.  I get Error 0xc0000225, A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed, File:\Windows\system32\winload.efi.

How can I make it bootable?
    Saturday, April 15, 2017 12:00 PM
  • That is normal with multiple drives. The primary load files are not duplicated. They are probably in the recovery partition on C: .

If you run a system recovery tool like Macrium Reflect it will show you that, to create the files you need to recover this system you need that partition as well as the system files on E: .

Bill

• Marked as answer by Stezky Friday, April 21, 2017 12:37 AM
    Sunday, April 16, 2017 12:10 AM
  • Thanks.  I made a Macrium Reflect rescue disk, restarted from the DVD, clicked on 'Repair boot problems' or something similar and now all is well.  Great.
    Friday, April 21, 2017 12:40 AM