none
Host in more than one protection group RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to have a server in more the one protection policy? 

What I'm looking to do is that I have a server that I backup daily to disk only for 30 days.  There is single folder on this server that I want saved for a longer retention period by going to tape.  The only way I could think of doing it was creating a separate policy.

Thanks

Ted
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 10:15 PM

Answers

• Yes, that is correct. You cannot protect something on C: in one PG and then another part of C: in another PG. "C:" can only be selected in one PG - period.  It doesn't matter if you are drilling down and only protecting a subfolder of C:.  "C:" is considered a single protectable member.
    • Marked as answer by TedT Monday, January 31, 2011 3:07 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:58 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can have one server in more than one protection group.  However, you cannot have the same protectable item in more than one group.  You could protect C: in one PG and D: in another PG, but you can't protect C: in more than one PG.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 12:35 AM
  • Thanks Rod,

Although when I exclude something from one protection group and try to create a new one for that excluded folder, the selection list of what I can have in the new group does not enable me to select it.  For example if I have a partition call H: that has 3 folders, A, B and C.  Protection group 1 is protecting A, B and C to start with.  I modified A to exclude C.  Created a new Protection group 2 that should be just for C but when you browse the server, C is not available to be selected.

Thanks

Ted

Ted
    Friday, January 28, 2011 3:53 PM
  • Yes, that is correct. You cannot protect something on C: in one PG and then another part of C: in another PG. "C:" can only be selected in one PG - period.  It doesn't matter if you are drilling down and only protecting a subfolder of C:.  "C:" is considered a single protectable member.
    • Marked as answer by TedT Monday, January 31, 2011 3:07 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 5:58 AM
  • :( .. Bummer.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Ted

Ted
    Monday, January 31, 2011 3:09 PM