none
Windows 10 1607 stuck when downloading updates from WSUS in MDT "Windows Update" task sequence

Question

• Hi

Basically my question is in header. Any ideas?
    It just randomly hangs (stalls, no cpu activity or so on). Sometimes downloading one update.. sometimes another.
    I have not seen this behavior with pervious version of Windows 10 (1511).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:14 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I added the last update KB3176929 as a package in the task sequence.

The following updates are easily installed by WSUS within MDT - problem solved.

• Proposed as answer by UNIBA Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:38 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sven J Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:56 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:37 PM
  • Thank You for pointing me to the right direction. I injected this package directly to the .wim image via DISM and it also seems to be working as it should be. No more problems with downloading updates from WSUS.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Sven J Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:58 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I added the last update KB3176929 as a package in the task sequence.

The following updates are easily installed by WSUS within MDT - problem solved.

• Proposed as answer by UNIBA Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:38 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 7:37 PM
  • I have ran into the same issue.

I'm trying to build a reference image with the new Windows 10 1607
    and the same thing happens to me during the updates.

It generally happens during the download of Office 2013 updates.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:44 PM
  • Also seeing this behavior in 32bit and 64bit builds. Package it stops on varies.

Richard P

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:14 AM
  • Would you mind detailing step-by-step what you did?

Richard P

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:16 AM
  • This seems to work - based on UNIBA post

1. Download the Cumulative Update from Catalog: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3176929
    2. In MDT create a new package (Right click on Package tree and Import OS Packages)
    3. Navigate to where you downloaded the KB above and step through to finish - you should see the new package created
    4. In your task sequence, check that under Preinstall>Apply Patches that all Packages is selected (NB: My setup very simple here so YMMV as to what you put)
    5. Do another test build and watch all the MDT WSUS sequences (hopefully) work

Richard P

• Unmarked as answer by Sven J Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:53 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 3:08 AM
  • Thank You for pointing me to the right direction. I injected this package directly to the .wim image via DISM and it also seems to be working as it should be. No more problems with downloading updates from WSUS.

• Marked as answer by Sven J Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:58 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Dear Sven,

Glad to hear this issue has been solved. Thanks for sharing, hope your experience will help other community members facing similar problems.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:10 AM
  • I'm still seeing the issue despite importing KB3176929 during the Task Sequence. As per the thread below, the suggestion is that this issue still affects computers that connect to a local WSUS server (ie not connected to the Internet);

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1749367-windows-10-ver-1607-having-difficulty-with-getting-updates-from-wsus

My build machine is on a private Hyper-V network not connected to the Internet, so my observations match those in the thread.

Friday, August 5, 2016 11:54 AM
  • I'm having the same experience. My MDT task sequence for building a reference will stall at some point during the Windows Update step despite having added KB3176929 as a package. I am connecting to a local WSUS server as well. While I haven't attempted to verify this theory 100%, I noticed that actual Windows updates would apply but Office updates stall things out. This could be coincidence since I never attempted to decline all the Office 2016 updates on our WSUS server.

Monday, August 8, 2016 3:54 PM
  • Please unmark my comment an answer. My test machines claim they are up to date, WSUS claims they still have a number of updates outstanding.

Richard P

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:58 PM
  • As MS realeased another update for Windows 10 1607 (KB3176495) the problem is back.
    Still working workaround is to inject update directly into image (like via DISM).
    So.. there are something going on..

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:55 AM
  • https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/08/using-wsus-with-windows-10-1607/
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:01 AM
  • https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mniehaus/2016/08/08/using-wsus-with-windows-10-1607/

I know that post. This does not explain why my update stalls forever in deployment task.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:34 AM
  • Here's a feedback about this issue. Perhaps some upvotes are in order.

feedback-hub:?contextid=158&feedbackid=f1c9c4e9-74c4-414f-a9dd-1466789c82a5&form=1&src=2

Monday, August 15, 2016 3:28 PM
  • "WSUS is thoroughly broken in 1607" is a horrible feedback item. Instead it would be better to provide Microsoft with some bug details and/or a pointer to a but report like this web page.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 15, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Other than the title, what do you consider to be horrible?

I did provide as much detail as I have been able to understand about the issue, and I also included a link to this webpage and a similar page at spiceworks. If you have more technical detail, by all means feel free to add it in the comments.

"WSUS is thoroughly broken in 1607" is simply the title of the feedback item, and succinctly describes the experience over the past week that I was giving feedback about.

Monday, August 15, 2016 3:45 PM
  • When I view "WSUS is thoroughly broken in 1607" I don't see ANY additional information, and no link to display more information.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:30 PM
  • Interesting, looks like feedback hub needs feedback too. I agree, it would have been stupid to just post that title with no detail at all.

I wonder what's different about your feeback hub and mine? I do know that every time I've browsed trending or other feedback, there are always a lot of things that are just a title but no detail. I figured those were just posted by stupid lazy people, perhaps not after all.

Anyway, this is what I posted in feedback hub, and what I see when I open it using the link I posted earlier.

Monday, August 15, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Packing the latest CU seems (and that's a big SEEMS) to have fixed it for me. 3 test machines all updating ok.

Makes me nervous what will get rolled out as a build tomorrow for 1511 machines

Richard P

Monday, August 15, 2016 8:52 PM
  • I'm still seeing the issue (client stuck on "Downloading" updates) despite having pre-installed KB3176495. Does anyone have this working with a local WSUS server, where the client cannot access the Internet? (My build client is on a private Hyper-V network, where it can only contact the WSUS/WDS/MDT server)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Hi, something similar (Windows 10 1607 + WSUS is not working) is happening:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/5521e7f1-fa2d-4867-a47c-b276c66e6a82/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607?forum=winserverwsus

Thursday, August 18, 2016 10:14 AM
  • My 1067 clients can't download/install updates from WSUS server.

These settings resolve my problems:

1. Add .esd and .msu mime types to IIS server.

2. Change DeliveryOptimization mode!

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization" /v DODownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 100 /f

• Proposed as answer by GTerplan Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:00 PM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 9:04 AM
  • Hi, tried that but not a solution in my environment :(
    Friday, August 19, 2016 1:45 PM
  • WUAUCLT in connection with WSUS is completely broken in 1607. Installing KB3176495 via MSU will fix the issue but only until a LPK is installed since installing a LPK will require 3176495 to be reinstalled which will fail (or better stall to download, eventually it may download because lots of WU related services are crashing constantly and trying over and over after a crash). In addition, WindowsUpdate.log compiled via PS will fail to resolve the GUIDs and is completely unreadable which totally prevents troubleshooting any WSUS or WUAUCLT related issue. I have two cases open with premier support, the WindowsUpdate.log was acknowledged, they WSUS issue they are still trying to reproduce. Updating via Microsoft Update (no WSUS) works fine. Any 1507 or 1511 build has no issues. Issues has been confirmed on fresh, standalone install of WSUS on 2012R2 with clean, manual install of 1607 Enterprise. FAIL is my only comment.
    Friday, August 19, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Hi dmatth! Thanks for your feedback, just keep us posted!
    Monday, August 22, 2016 8:22 AM
  • Hi,

I tried too with a clean install of WSUS, same problem.

Tested with computer in domain and not in a domain, same problem.

No problem with Windows 10 1511.

See my post (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/5521e7f1-fa2d-4867-a47c-b276c66e6a82/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607?forum=winserverwsus)

I discussed about this with Michael Niehaus (MDT), He told me than he haven't encountered this bug.

Monday, August 22, 2016 11:55 AM
  • same issue with MDT 2013 Upd2 (ADK 1607) task sequence. I am building a reference machine (W10 1607) and trying to update it from W12R2-based WSUS with all necessary updates installed. simply hangs on August cumulative update.

Hopefully dmath cases will have some outcome...

Alex Ignatenko | MCSE | MCITP | MCTS:SCCM, Lync, Virtualization

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:33 AM

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization" /v DODownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 100 /f

.msu ?

Where did You get this information?

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:22 AM
  • I followed this: http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/540/Building-a-Windows-10-v1607-reference-image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2 to create the build. Following this makes sure KB3176495 gets pre-installed in the image and also makes an important change to unattend.xml. 

However, during deployment of a physical machine it got stuck with Windows Update (using WSUS) in the Post Application run. When I manually restarted from this point the machine started installing the updates from the Pre-Application run, i.e. the Post-App did not run because a reboot was needed after the Pre-App run. Putting a "Restart Computer" just before Post-Application in TS made the Pre-Application update to do a clean install. With this change the deployment now runs OK, without errors.

I also tried "Restart Computer" right after the Pre-App, but this did not make it. I guess the update needs some time to sort things out before it is ready to install/reboot. 

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:51 AM
  • WSUS is horribly broken in 1607. I can point my domain computers to "Microsoft Update" and the updates will download just fine. If I mistakenly don't click the "Check Online" and it goes to my WSUS server (running 2012 R2), it will see the updates that I've approved and just stay at "Downloading updates 0%". I've waited hours and still at "Downloading updates 0%". Only solution is to go into services, net stop bits, cryptsvc, and wuauserv, rename SoftwareDistribution, restart the services and make dead sure I click the "Check online" option. I approved the two updates for 1607 today that push the version to 14393.82, and I only get those to download and install if I tell the machine to use the "check online" option.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:30 PM
  • same as the rest.  I've done all the KB fixes from the past and updates were working good.  1607 was even delivered via WSUS with no issues.  Post 1607 install, it's always stuck on downloading updates.

Some clients if you try settings enough, reboot enough times, and run the troubleshooter which fixes the database, it may finally update.  90% of clients don't work.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:02 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback; it's interesting to hear that the LPK requires the update to be re-installed. My current workaround is as others have described; Install KB3176934 & KB3176936 using the "Apply Patches" step, then re-install KB3176934 as an application after the language packs have been installed (wusa.exe "windows10.0-kb3176934-x64_5e7bc3013384454c32a4fa59c7879367b93f6e86.msu" /quiet /norestart). Adding the esd and msu Mime types to the WSUS website didn't seem to have any effect for me FWIW.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:16 AM
  • Hi to all!

None of those fresh KBs (KB3176934 and KB3176936) fix that issue with WSUS :(

Regards

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:39 AM
  • Has anyone tried disabling TLS on the WSUS server and pointing the clients at port 8530 via HTTP?
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:47 PM
  • tried.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Having this same issue. No CU's seem to fix it. I've tried adding them as packages to MDT TS, and I've tried DISM to the wim. No luck. Just sits on downloading updates. I'm running 1607. 
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:57 AM
  • Had this issue for the last couple weeks at work. Finally stumbled on the answer. The KB that preps WSUS to deploy the Window 10 anniversary update has some post install steps to perform. However, they don't tell you that the update might not add two mime types to the IIS instance for WSUS. Added .esd and .msu as type application/octet-stream and the update started deploying to my test machines.
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:16 PM
  • "Added .esd and .msu as type application/octet-stream and the update started deploying to my test machines."

I don't think that is a fix. My WSUS server has those MIME types, yet the two latest cumulative updates released recently do NOT download on machines that manually had kb3176495 installed. This is some kind of bug in the 1607 build.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 6:37 PM
  • There are two issues apparently being discussed here.

Adding the mime type for ESD solves the issue with 1511 or earlier clients failing to install the "Feature update 1607" which are the huge ESD files.

The main issue with cumulative updates getting stuck remains unresolved. Adding mime type for MSU was one of the things people have tried but it doesn't fix the issue.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 7:07 PM
  • Have also added these MIME types but still have the download issue on WSUS upgraded machines AND new build machines IF I add a language pack post build (presumably because it is having to reinstall updates as part of that)

Richard P

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:01 PM
  • Microsoft answer:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5521e7f1-fa2d-4867-a47c-b276c66e6a82/windows-10-anniversary-update-1607?forum=winserverwsus

• Proposed as answer by René Zimmermann Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:16 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by René Zimmermann Sunday, August 28, 2016 4:16 AM
    • Proposed as answer by cmiscloni Monday, August 29, 2016 8:45 AM
    Saturday, August 27, 2016 6:49 AM

Thank you.  I performed this on my 2012 Server and restarted IIS then my clients started downloading the update.
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:01 PM
  • Unfortunately former CUs didn't help in our case but finally KB3189866 (newest CU for Windows 10 1607) solved this problem - just include it as package into your deployment workbench (and take care that it will be used in the correct task sequence of cause...) and updates provided via WSUS will be installed properly again. Nothing more is necessary to be able to build a reference image for Windows 10 1607 if you have your infrastructure already on the newest patch level (especially no changes in the registry or IIS Settings - only the steps descriped in KB3159706 have to be done but this was already necessary before Win10 1607 was released!).

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:43 PM
  • Forgive my skepticism, but the only way to know if this month's CU actually solves the problem is to install it and then wait to see if next month's CU installs from WSUS without issue.

• Edited by PepperdotNet Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 8:46 PM
  • No Problem, honestly I share your skepticism but finally I'm glad that I was able to make a reference image to deploy Windows 1607 with newest patch level. So let's hope it was not a temporary solution.

• Edited by SimonL1986 Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:07 PM grammar...
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 9:06 PM
  • Does not looks like the issue is fixed. I downloaded the KB3189866 and add it to MDT as an OS Package to get it integrated. I also re-enabled Updates steps in Full OS to get other updates (O2013 etc...). It hanged on the first update download... I guess I will try to install the same package with wusa in full OS bit so far does not look promising :(

Update: I installed 3189866 in online OS using wusa. It is displayed in Installed Updates list. But as soon as TS reaches Windows Updates step it hangs on the first update....

Alex

• Edited by Alenat Wednesday, September 14, 2016 12:57 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 11:18 PM
  • Does this work for anyone?

If not, then the answer should probably be unmarked.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 4:46 PM
  • Hi - I just managed to get this working myself.

What I did was:

1. Download KB3189866 from Microsoft Updates Catolog website.
    2. In MDT, under Packages, create a new folder. E.g. Windows10x64v1607_updates
    3. Import the patch under that folder.
    4. Under Advanced, create a selection profile and point it to the folder (above)
    5. In your Task Sequence, under the 'Preinstall' section, identify the Inject Drivers and Apply Patches tasks. Just under there, add a new "Install Updates Offline" task (Add>General)
    6. Edit the task to point to your selection profile.

Kick off a test build - for me this did the trick.

Good luck.

• Proposed as answer by Ruster.NZ Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Ruster.NZ Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:46 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 3:35 AM
  • I have this issue, stuck on KB3176936...

Alex Olver

Thursday, September 15, 2016 10:08 PM
  • I'm also experiencing this issue. I've tried this:

"1. Add .esd and .msu mime types to IIS server.

REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeliveryOptimization" /v DODownloadMode /t REG_DWORD /d 100 /f"

But that did not work. 

Does anyone know if i need to download all of the cumulative updates and place them in MDT or download the most latest cumulative update is sufficient enough? My updates also get stuck on Silverlight and Windows 8/8.1/10 malicious tool update.

Also, im a little confused, when i add the packages to MDT and do the following:
    "In your Task Sequence, under the 'Preinstall' section, identify the Inject Drivers and Apply Patches tasks. Just under there, add a new "Install Updates Offline" task (Add>General)". When i open windows update and check the history, i do not see any of the packages i have in MDT installed, even know this was placed in the pre-install. Does anyone know why?

Is there any word on this being fixed? Im currently reverting back to 1511 build.

• Edited by ITWorld1 Friday, September 16, 2016 4:20 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 4:17 PM
  • to ITworld1:

With new servicing model Microsoft expires previous CUs as soon as a new one is available. So you need only the latest one (September at this point). I tried to integrate it in offline image using DISM and installed online using wusa, but unfortunately it did not rectify the issue.

Alex

Friday, September 16, 2016 4:27 PM
  • to ITworld1:

With new servicing model Microsoft expires previous CUs as soon as a new one is available. So you need only the latest one (September at this point). I tried to integrate it in offline image using DISM and installed online using wusa, but unfortunately it did not rectify the issue.

Alex

Thanks for the reply. That's a shame. Is there any word from Microsoft about this? Are they aware of this and working on the next CU for a fix?

Also, which KB is the latest at this point? KB3189866?

• Edited by ITWorld1 Friday, September 16, 2016 5:28 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Any news on this? I added Win10 1607 to my MDT as mentioned in Johans blog "deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/540/Building-a-Windows-10-v1607-reference-image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2"

which means I added the needed kb / cumulative updates (KB3176495 and also KB3176929). They're listed as

Package_for_RollufFix neutral amd64 14393.10.1.0 Update and

Package_for_RollupFix neutral amd64 14393.187.1.2 SecurityUpdate in MDT 2013 Update 2.

However, when creating the reference image, it still hang at the "Windows Update (Pre-Application Installation)".

For testing reasons I also added a suspend before the Windows Update and I manually added the package again with dism /online /add-package /package-path:{path to package}.

The WSUS server is corretly set in CustomSettings.ini (Creating reference image for Win10 1577 works fine).

Thursday, September 22, 2016 7:34 AM
  • Word on the street is that KB3189866 has fixed the problem. However, only these cumulative updates seem to trigger the bug, so I'm not rolling this build out until there has been one more cumulative update released and I can confirm that it does indeed download correctly from WSUS. At this point, I simply do not trust Microsoft. It seems like they are unconcerned with issues affecting customers with on-premises networks.
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Good decision. For me, KB319866 didn't fix the problem (no WSUS downolad). Or like somebody once mentioned, KB3189866 has solved most WSUS issues for the Windows Update action. The keyword is "most"....not "all" though ;-)
    • Edited by fbg_admin Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:14 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:14 PM
  • I am at Microsoft Ignite conference now. MS acknowledged the issue still persists  even after couple of recent patches. Another patch is expected later this month ( I guess it means in next 3 days :) )

I hope that one will be able to help us. Will see. So far I am deploying the latest CU during gold image creation and patch Office/.Net with SCCM after the gold image is installed. I guess I could add Office updates to O213 source files to speed it up a bit. That will be the plan if MS won't be able to fix the issue as promised.

Alex

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 1:31 PM
  • No suggestion how they'll fix it so that machines that either upgraded to 1607 via WSUS or machines that added a language pack will be able to pick up the CU from WSUS?

Richard P

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 8:11 PM
  • I noticed something in my environment. In fact, the client starts downloading updates (SoftwareDistribution folder gets some files), but after a few minutes, the application svchost.exe_DoSvc is crashing (reported in Event viewer, ID 1000) even though I turned off Delivery Optimization via GUI and restarted the client before resuming the installation.

So I manually added the reg key mentioned earlier in this post (DODownloadMode = 100) and restarted the client again to make sure it's disabled by policy. And guess what...it IS downloading the updates now after resuming the installation. I'll have to automate it now by adding the reg key in a task sequence.

Long story short, turning off the Delivery Optimization with the GUI is no good idea. You have to add the registry key. I made the mistake in first thinking "I already set it with GP on the server" but forgot that the client for the reference image is not yet in the domain and that the policy therefore is not applied.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi All,

KB3194496 (Sept 29th) fixed the issue for me.

I integrated it as a package in MDT and my gold image is now patched.

-Alex

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:58 PM
  • I cannot find that update on the Microsoft Catalog? And the useless KB article says it will download and install automatically from WU.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:14 PM
  • As far as I understand this is update for early adopters. I g**gled and found a direct link.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 1:33 PM
  • The same happened with a WSUS 3 SP2 (on Windows Server 2003) and it was resolved by installing the CU KB3197356 released on October 06/10/16 during the building of the reference image Task Sequence.

I could also try it with the latest CU of the time which is KB3194798 release on 11/10/16 but wanted to check if the older one resolves the issue.

Also this solution applies to Windows 10-1607 machines that will not download from a WSUS 3 SP2 based on Windows Server 2003 (yes I know that Server 2003 is old and unsupported but this is not something to discuss now).

You can download any of the two from Microsoft's Update Catalog.

George Simos former MVP in Configuration Manager, MCT, MCSA, MCITP Enterprise Admin, MCTS Virtualization & ConfigMgr

Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:52 PM