Disk Protection triggers Windows Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

everytime I enable Disk Protection, then restart, during logon a message always pops up saying that I need to re-activate XP, and have 3 days to do it. If I choose activate later, it won't allow it anyway, so the PC is locked out. If I reactivate now, it does so, but at next restart it'll ask again.

Oh and it takes about 5 minutes load, pretty much stuck at the 'welcome' page, then the reactivation message.

Any idea how to fix this?

By the way, I use XP Home SP2. 2 partitions. Swapfile on 2nd partition. My Documents on 2nd partition as well. And, Nvidia storage drivers.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Afuk,

Do you activate your XP before you enable Disk Protection in Windows SteadyState?

The Windows SteadyState Disk Protection function will protect the hard disk from any changes. After you enable Disk Protection, you are prompted to activate XP. If the Windows Disk Protection is configured in the “Remove all changes at restart “ level, the reactivation changes will be lost after you restart the computer.

I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can resolve this issue:

1. Please start the Windows XP, reactivate it and logon as administrator to the Windows XP client

2. Open Windows SteadyState, click “Protect the Hard Disk”

3. Select “Retain all changes permanently” option, click OK

4. Restart the Windows XP client, reactivate the Windows XP, and then restart the machine. You should not be prompted to activate the XP this time.

5. Logon as administrator

6. Open Windows SteadyState, click “Protect the Hard Disk”, and then set the Protect the Hard Disk function back to original state

Thanks and have a nice day!

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:01 AM

All replies

• Hello Afuk,

Do you activate your XP before you enable Disk Protection in Windows SteadyState?

The Windows SteadyState Disk Protection function will protect the hard disk from any changes. After you enable Disk Protection, you are prompted to activate XP. If the Windows Disk Protection is configured in the “Remove all changes at restart “ level, the reactivation changes will be lost after you restart the computer.

I suggest we try the following steps to see if we can resolve this issue:

1. Please start the Windows XP, reactivate it and logon as administrator to the Windows XP client

2. Open Windows SteadyState, click “Protect the Hard Disk”

3. Select “Retain all changes permanently” option, click OK

4. Restart the Windows XP client, reactivate the Windows XP, and then restart the machine. You should not be prompted to activate the XP this time.

5. Logon as administrator

6. Open Windows SteadyState, click “Protect the Hard Disk”, and then set the Protect the Hard Disk function back to original state

Thanks and have a nice day!

Monday, July 23, 2007 8:01 AM
  • Hi Terrence,

Thanks for the reply.  I did activate XP before installing SteadyState.  I didn't know that after enabling Disk Protection, XP will have to be reactivated.  I don't remember whether I set to 'retain all changes' before restart, maybe I didn't.  I will try that.

Saturday, July 28, 2007 3:28 PM