none
Windows 7 hardware reserved memory way too much! RRS feed

• Question

• hi guys,

i've never had this problem before, my windows 7 used to utilize all my ram, since my hdd crashed and i got a new one i bought extra ram, my motherboard can support up to 16gb ram unbuffered, i have a 64bit windows, i updated my bios, yet my windows still uses only 4gb of my 12gb ram, and i found that the memory reserved for hardware is an astonishing 8gb, i followed all the guidelines i could find on the forums and still can't fix it, i saw that others encountered this problem asswell, how can i fix this? any pointers or solutions out there? would installing an older version of windows perhaps solve this problem? like xp pro? thanks in advance

ruan

Sunday, August 14, 2011 10:41 AM

Answers

• msconfig, boot tab, advanced options, uncheck the maximum memory if it is limited.

The working and private columns are the actual physical amount used. If you look at the shared, most of the reserved memory could be used by other needs if required.

Your Blackberry app is causing hard faults. RIM.Desktop.exe  Do you have the latest version for Windows 7?

I simply point out that you may never approach using all of the ram. Today's hardware is very powerful. Run the CPU meter gadget and configure it for always on top.

Then multitask as many processes\applications as you can and observe the memory usage. My guess is 30% maximum utilized.

I would not get concerned about how the system utilizes resources unless you find that you are having performance issues. 

You could now run multiple virtual machines simultaneously with all of that memory installed. Do you have a quad core to allocate cores?

Use the rig and have fun.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Look for and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:16 PM

All replies

• If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out that 8GB of memory is reserved for hardware?
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 11:57 AM
  • if you run "resmon" from your start menu it shows the graphs for memory and cpu etc, in there it shows memory for reserved hardware, available, standby etc.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:09 PM
  • Thanks, I didn't know about that.  That does sound very strange.  My machine has 6GB, and only 2MB is reserved for h/w.  See following graphic:

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Exactly my point, I'll try sending a graph once I get back home, I tried everything, I'm going to update my windows tomorrow and see if that fixes anything but after that I have no idea what to try next, like I said I've done everything, and the problem still persists... And I run the windoes 7 ultimate 64bit version so I have no idea why my reserved memory is so much? Have you encounteres this type of problem or know someone wwho has?
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:21 PM
  • No, Ruan, this is a new problem to me.  I'll see what I can find out...
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:24 PM
  • ok thank you, i'll send the graph in a few minutes, much appreciated man.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:30 PM
  • I found this cool utility from Sysinternals called RAMMap.  You can download it here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx

This may help you to identify what is using your memory.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 12:48 PM
  • I'm about to post the graph, ill check out that utility afterwards, thank you for your help man
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:13 PM
  • There's the graph, i'll download the uutility now.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Look for and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 8:16 PM
  • Is your video adapter using shared memory?
    Monday, August 15, 2011 10:28 AM
  • msconfig, boot tab, advanced options, uncheck the maximum memory if it is limited.

The working and private columns are the actual physical amount used. If you look at the shared, most of the reserved memory could be used by other needs if required.

Your Blackberry app is causing hard faults. RIM.Desktop.exe  Do you have the latest version for Windows 7?

I simply point out that you may never approach using all of the ram. Today's hardware is very powerful. Run the CPU meter gadget and configure it for always on top.

Then multitask as many processes\applications as you can and observe the memory usage. My guess is 30% maximum utilized.

I would not get concerned about how the system utilizes resources unless you find that you are having performance issues. 

You could now run multiple virtual machines simultaneously with all of that memory installed. Do you have a quad core to allocate cores?

Use the rig and have fun.

Monday, August 15, 2011 1:27 PM
  • Hi,

The Hardware Reserved memory is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals. Therefore, I suggest updating BIOS and all possible devices' driver from manufacture's site.

I would like you to know the Hardware Reserved memory mostly depends on hardware.

For more information:

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978610/en-us

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:58 AM
  • while i can tell your suggestion is with the best of intentions, it only applies to memory that is not "hardware reserved".  I'm currently having a very similar issue as the OP, but mine's ~2.5gb of 4, and after a mobo change in a lenovo laptop.   The utility on the link you provided only shows the 1.6gb of "usable" ram.  
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:06 PM
  • thanks so much for your help " Nano Warp " I uncheck the maximum memory in msconfig is fix my problem now I have only 9mb of hardware reserved thanks so so much 
    • Proposed as answer by Psymon_77 Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:02 AM
    Saturday, April 6, 2013 6:28 AM
  • +1 ^

LEGENDARY post Nano Warp - All the previous posts were just "filler" yours was the REAL DEAL.

My hardware was reserving ovr 10Gb of my 16Gb now its using only 2Mb..! Thanks heaps

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 9:05 AM

+100 @NW

Simple and effective!  Reboot changed RAM allocation from 11 GIGA Bytes Hardware reserved to 771MegaBytes.

Awesome

-'aicH

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:43 PM
  • Hi I know this is an old thread, however I am having the same problem. I woke up one morning turned on my desktop and I only had 512 mb of usable memory. Everything is up-to-date and I've checked and unchecked the maximum, it changed it twice but kept reverting back to dedicating over 2 GB of the 3 I have to hardware reserves.

Please help. 

Sunday, December 29, 2013 11:51 PM
  • Hi I know this is an old thread, however I am having the same problem. I woke up one morning turned on my desktop and I only had 512 mb of usable memory. Everything is up-to-date and I've checked and unchecked the maximum, it changed it twice but kept reverting back to dedicating over 2 GB of the 3 I have to hardware reserves.

Please help. 

Hi Dustfinger396,

Click Start>type resmon in the search box> select the result. Now you can review what's going on with the memory. Take a snip of your resmon and post it here.

Unless you are having performance issues, why does this concern you? I would be more concerned about having two different size memory sticks than how the OS utilizes it. 2 - 2gb would improve the performance.

Monday, December 30, 2013 10:57 AM
  • hi sorry but how do you get your account verified as it will not let me put up images unless it is

Monday, December 30, 2013 2:09 PM
  • But this is what happens with me over half of my RAM is reserve. I do what you say but still it does not work!

I have 6GB RAM, and it reserves 4GB. Please help!

Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:21 PM
  • How about if it is already unchecked but it still says 2.91gb usable?

Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:19 AM
  • Maybe this tip can help everybody: my Toshiba Satellite A500 had 4GB (2GB+2GB) DDR3  1066MHz and it worked fine. So I changed one of them for a 4GB DDR3 1333MHz and at that time I didn't pay attention on Windows System Information, just the BIOS status that showed me 6144MB of RAM.

This days I had to format my computer and it became out of a box, so I saw that the installed memory showed me 6GB and 3.94GB usable. After that I looked for any solution and nothing that I did help me, including this forum.

So, for not to drive me crazy I had an insight: I inverted my two memory modules at the other slot and it makes me happy. Worked!

Right now I have just 66MB of hardware reserved memory.

If you have this issue, try it. I don't have sure, maybe for me was luck but it is a try.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:25 PM
  • Thanks. This did it.
    Sunday, June 14, 2015 6:28 AM
  • It was already unchecked, what now? I have Warning tabs that tells me that my system memory is low. My BIOS is up to date.
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 6:07 PM
  • So, I figure out why this did NOT work for me.  I had 16gbs, and i went to 32gbs.  i can NOT use the other 16gbs because I have windows 7 HOME.  Home only allows 16gbs.  Pro, enterprise, and ultimate allow for more (192gbs).  Windows site: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(vs.85).<g class="gr_ gr_8 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling" data-gr-id="8" id="8">aspx</g> (2/3 the way down on this page, 6th table) (re-post)
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 12:36 PM