none
2008 RDS + W2012 for AD Licensing question

Question

• Good afternoon, I will try to put it as simply as possible !

I have a server running 2012R2 Essential edition that does almost everything (AD, DNS, DHCP, file server...) and another server that is running on Server 2008 R2 for a dedicated application.

Users are using this last one through RDS, it has 15 RDS CAL.

If I want to increase this number of accesses, do I have to buy only RDS CAL ? What if my number of users exceeds 25 ? 

Hope I was clear enough..

Thank you for your time.

Monday, June 25, 2018 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

WSE SKU supports up to 25 users and 50 devices.

Based on your description, you need more than 25 users to establish remote session(RemoteApp) to your application server(WS 2008 R2).

In general, remote connection/session is based on domain environment, means adding domain user account and remote user using these accounts to establish remote connection/session. However, WSE is limited to 25 users, if you add more user accounts on Dashboard and exceed the limitation, it may generates error/event on your system and causing system automatically rebooting. 

Within 25 user limitation, you can purchase and add necessary RDS CALs in order to increase the number of remote connection/session to your application server. If it extends 25 user limitation, you may consider of migrate from WSE to Windows Server Standard/Datacenter domain.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 28, 2018 1:30 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, July 2, 2018 2:24 AM