SCCM DB Structure, Queries, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sure this info has been covered somewhere else, but I can't seem to locate it.  I'm not looking for specific query help but rather some answers to more general questions. 

What are the differences between the v_GS, v_HS, v_R, v_RA, etc., views?  Most of the query examples on here are great, but how did you know, for example, to query the v_R_System view instead of the v_GS_System or v_HS_System views when looking for something specific?  Other than digging into column names in SQL  ;o)   There must be some high-level organization to the view names, correct?

Are there rules of thumb, such as, "to find system info xyz, query the v_whatever  view"  published anywhere or that someone can provide?

Is there a poster-sized DB diagram of the SCCM DB anywhere, or just a list of all the tables and the columns they contain?  In many cases, I do not have access to the SQL side of things to browse this info.

Other than practice, can anyone point to some good resources (including formal training) for building complex and effective queries in WQL/SQL, especially as it relates to SCCM ?  Or good SQL CheatSheets & references?

I get asked quite often to produce lists of systems that meet several criteria, not just simple "what laptops have xyz application?".

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 9:38 PM

Answers

All replies