Creating Exchange 2007 Database on Local Disk? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

In an effort to determine the source of some performance issues we have on our ISCSI SAN, I want to create an Exchange Database on my Physical servers local disk.  This Physical server is actually part of a 2-node SCC cluster, with 28 Databases already on the shared storage.

My question is, "can" I install a new Database on the Local server disk or will "Exchange" tell me this isn't possible because it's a "clustered" install?

Any ideas...?  I could just go ahead and try it, but I'd rather get some notional feedback first.  Otherwise, I'll have to re-instate my Test SCC cluster and try it there.

Ta

M

Thursday, March 24, 2011 12:18 PM

Answers

• Any database created on a clustered mailbox server is itself clustered, so you cannot use direct-attached storage.  It's too bad you're not on Exchange 2010 becuase it's much more flexible in this regard.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, March 28, 2011 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:52 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:16 PM

All replies

• Any database created on a clustered mailbox server is itself clustered, so you cannot use direct-attached storage.  It's too bad you're not on Exchange 2010 becuase it's much more flexible in this regard.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Monday, March 28, 2011 7:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alan.Gim Thursday, March 31, 2011 5:52 AM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:16 PM
  • SCCs use shared storage to store clustered mailbox server data (storage groups and databases) … Shared storage for a clustered mailbox server must be accessible from all nodes that can host the clustered mailbox server

--------Refer to <Planning for Single Copy Clusters>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, March 28, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Thanks for the information Ed.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:18 AM