Do we need internet connection while using Power BI Gateway whether it is personal gateway or enterprise? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

As we can develop reports/dashboards in Power BI Desktop without any internet connection(not for publishing it), dies it require internet connection for personal or enterprise Power BI Gateways to work for data refresh ?

Thanks,

• Edited by ScriptSoft Sunday, September 29, 2019 7:02 AM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 7:00 AM

Answers

• Not sure if I understand your question correctly.

1) If you want to refresh a Power BI Desktop file you don't need an internet connection and no Gateway.

2) The gateway is only needed if you want to refresh certain sources in the cloud (Power BI Service). In that case, the gateway has to make a connection to the PBI service and this can only be done through internet connection.

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Miguel Escobar Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by ScriptSoft Friday, October 11, 2019 7:17 AM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 8:45 AM

All replies

• Not sure if I understand your question correctly.

1) If you want to refresh a Power BI Desktop file you don't need an internet connection and no Gateway.

2) The gateway is only needed if you want to refresh certain sources in the cloud (Power BI Service). In that case, the gateway has to make a connection to the PBI service and this can only be done through internet connection.

Imke Feldmann - MVP Data Platform (PowerBI) - http://www.TheBIccountant.com 

Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to vote it as helpful - Thanks!

• Proposed as answer by Miguel Escobar Sunday, September 29, 2019 6:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by ScriptSoft Friday, October 11, 2019 7:17 AM
    Sunday, September 29, 2019 8:45 AM
  • Many thanks Imke,

Sorry if my question was like a novice and misleading.

To be more specific with my query here I am framing my question again:

When we develop reports/dashboard in PBI Desktop, we will have to click refresh to get the latest data. is there any way which gives us realistic data automatically without clicking on refresh?

Some times we need to host reports on-premise (like using PBI Report server), in those cases, when we access reports, is there anything(like auto-refresh) by which we can get latest data from source. Or it always need refreshing url to get the latest of data in reports?

Regards,

MSBI-Power BI

Monday, September 30, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Hey!

What you're looking for seems like a good fit for DirectQuery. Here's an article about it:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-use-directquery

There are some Chrome extensions that actually do click the refresh button for you if that's what you're looking. Those are the only available tools at the moment.

Edit: also, this would fall more into a Power BI related question, so you might want to hit the official Power BI Community forum to get more insights.
    • Edited by Miguel Escobar Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:39 PM adding info
    Tuesday, October 1, 2019 8:38 PM