none
DPM 2012 Backing up a VM on Server 2012 Hyper-V CSV Host - Not Working with Hardware VSS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm trying to backup a VM on a 2012 Cluster. I can do it by using the system VSS provider, but when I try to use the hardware provider, (Dell equalogic) it doesn't work. DPM will sit for a while trying and then report a retryable VSS error. 

The only error I'm seeing on the Host is the following:

Event ID 12297

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: The I/O writes cannot be flushed during the shadow copy creation period on volume \\?\Volume{3312155e-569a-42f3-ab3a-baff892a2681}\. The volume index in the shadow copy set is 0. Error details: Open[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully. ], Flush[0x80042313, The shadow copy provider timed out while flushing data to the volume being shadow copied. This is probably due to excessive activity on the volume. Try again later when the volume is not being used so heavily. ], Release[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully. ], OnRun[0x00000000, The operation completed successfully. ]. Operation: Executing Asynchronous Operation Context: Current State: DoSnapshotSet

I don't know where to go from here - There is no activity on the CSV (this is the only VM on it, and both the CSV and VM were created specifically for testing this issue

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate. 

Update:

Ok, so I can Take DPM out of the picture. Trying to do a snapshot from the Dell Auto-Snapshot manager, I get the same errors. But I also get a bit more information:

Started at 3:02:47 PM
    Gathering Information...
    Phase 1: Checking pre-requisites... (3:02:47 PM)
    Phase 2: Initializing Smart Copy Operation (3:02:47 PM)
    Adding components from cluster node SB-BLADE01
    Adding components from cluster node SB-BLADE04
    Adding components from cluster node SB-BLADE02
    Retrieving writer information
    Phase 3: Adding Components and Volumes (3:02:52 PM)
    Adding components to the Smart Copy Set
    Adding volumes to the Smart Copy Set
    Phase 4: Creating Smart Copy (3:02:52 PM)
    Creating Smart Copy Set

An error occurred:

An error occurred during phase: Creating Smart Copy

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80042313.

Creating Smart Copy Set

An error occurred:

An error occurred:

Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' reported an error: 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_FREEZE'. Check the application component to verify it is in a valid state for the operation.

An error occurred:

One or more errors occurred during the operation.  Check the detailed progress updates for details.

An error occurred:

Smart Copy creation failed.

Source:  Creating Smart Copy Set

An error occurred:

An error occurred:

Writer 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' reported an error: 'VSS_WS_FAILED_AT_FREEZE'. Check the application component to verify it is in a valid state for the operation.

An error occurred:

One or more errors occurred during the operation.  Check the detailed progress updates for details.
    Error:  VSS can no longer flush I/O writes.

Thanks,

John

• Edited by JohnnyRey Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:11 PM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 9:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please work with the hardware storage vendor to help configure the hardware VSS provider and SAN to make successful snapshots outside of DPM.  Once you can make them outside of DPM, then DPM should work ok. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 10:43 PM
  • I had a similar issue with an environment that had previously been working with the Dell HIT configured correctly. As we added a third node to the cluster I began seeing this problem.

In my case I had the HIT volume max sessions per volume at 6 and maximum sessions per volume slice set to 2 and the CSV was using a LUN/Volume on the SAN that was split across 2 members.

When the backup takes place and Dell HIT is configured to use SAN snapshots the vss-control iSCSI target is used which in my case exceeded my limits for maximum connections per volume as I'm using 2 paths per Hyper-V node with MPIO (this is my current theory).

Once I'd modified these settings I could then back up the VHD's on that CSV again.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:02 AM