none
again:DPM 2012 and restoring individuals emails to a mailbox? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,  there was a thread discussed this a few months ago, just want to get update again:DPM 2012 and restoring individuals emails to a mailbox, is it supported now? Can I use DPM 2012 to restore indiviual emails and maiboxes of Exchange 2010 ? If I use Netbackup 7 as well for tape backup, will it be better to work together to restore mailboxes without setup of NFS?
    Thanks

KF

Thanks and best regards, -- KF

Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:15 AM

Answers

• I think Daredevil's answer is a bit misleading (not on purpose).  You cannot simply restore an individual mailbox WITHOUT first restoring the ENTIRE database that houses that mailbox to an exchange server recovery DB.  The process is ridiculously time consuming and complex to simply get a hold of an individual mailbox.  IMO this is the single biggest flaw with Exchange today.  The dumpster method is simply not a good substitute because dumpster restores dump (no pun intended) all restored items into the current folder location, not their original location prior to being deleted...  Was REALLY hoping this was going to change with ex2013 but not holding out hope...
    • Marked as answer by kongfupanda Monday, September 24, 2012 4:22 AM
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:31 PM

All replies

• Hi

I dont think you can do item level restore with an exchange mailbox. Possibly only with Exchange products. DPM 2012 supports recovery of the following Exchange data:

An entire storage group (Exchange 2007 or lower).
    A single mailbox database.
    A single mailbox.

ref: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dataprotectionmanager/thread/ba757fad-f1ce-4a5b-8421-e486f57dca78

Ref: http://www.msexchange.org/articles_tutorials/exchange-server-2010/management-administration/continuous-backup-exchange-server-2010-dpm-2012-part4.html

Perhaps Mike can shed some light on this.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Hi,

DareDevil57 reply is the correct answer.  Nothing has changed in DPM 2012 or beyond at this time.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:54 PM
  • I think Daredevil's answer is a bit misleading (not on purpose).  You cannot simply restore an individual mailbox WITHOUT first restoring the ENTIRE database that houses that mailbox to an exchange server recovery DB.  The process is ridiculously time consuming and complex to simply get a hold of an individual mailbox.  IMO this is the single biggest flaw with Exchange today.  The dumpster method is simply not a good substitute because dumpster restores dump (no pun intended) all restored items into the current folder location, not their original location prior to being deleted...  Was REALLY hoping this was going to change with ex2013 but not holding out hope...
    • Marked as answer by kongfupanda Monday, September 24, 2012 4:22 AM
    Saturday, September 22, 2012 4:31 PM