PPS Web Service not able to open after PPS SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an installation of PPS, SQL Server 2005 and MOSS 2007 on a single 64 bit server with Windows Server 2003 installed. The PPS Web site is configured with a host header and uses https. Dashboard designer, publishing and previewing worked OK for a couple of weeks.

We installed SP1 yesterday and Dashboard Designer has not been able to connect to the PPS Web Service ever since. The URL of the web service is correct (in the Server -> options tab) and the PmService.asmx won't open in IE as well.

We have .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 and .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 installed.

The error we get in Dashboard designer is "Unable to connect to server" and the error in the Application log is:

Event code: 3006

Event message: A parser error has occurred.

Event time: 8/6/2008 9:30:21 AM

Event time (UTC): 8/6/2008 7:30:21 AM

Event ID: 68fdb28ce6ec4feab9ca024efbec0298

Event sequence: 7

Event occurrence: 2

Event detail code: 0

Application information:

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1043936549/Root/WebService-1-128624805091154341

Trust level: Full

Application Virtual Path: /WebService

Application Path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService\

Machine name: BL-BIBE1

Process information:

Process ID: 4136

Process name: w3wp.exe

Account name: TOPNET\pps_service_pprod

Exception information:

Exception type: HttpParseException

Exception message: The page must have a <%@ webservice class="MyNamespace.MyClass" ... %> directive.

Request information:

Request URL: https://pps-p.topnet.rs:8070/WebService/PmService.asmx

Request path: /WebService/PmService.asmx

User host address: 10.253.251.22

User: TOPNET\BI_admin_pprod

Is authenticated: True

Authentication Type: Negotiate

Thread account name: TOPNET\pps_service_pprod

Thread information:

Thread ID: 5

Thread account name: TOPNET\pps_service_pprod

Is impersonating: True

Stack trace: at System.Web.UI.SimpleWebHandlerParser.ParseReader()

at System.Web.UI.SimpleWebHandlerParser.Parse(ICollection referencedAssemblies)

at System.Web.Compilation.SimpleHandlerBuildProvider.get_CodeCompilerType()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvider.GetCompilerTypeFromBuildProvider(BuildProvider buildProvider)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.ProcessBuildProviders()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)

at System.Web.UI.WebServiceParser.GetCompiledType(String inputFile, HttpContext context)

at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebServiceHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String verb, String url, String filePath)

at System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, String url, String pathTranslated)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:36 AM

Answers

• Hi, Sundar

Yes, the application pool is running under the specified service account.

The instructions for installing SP1 do not mention installing SP1 on client machines (where only Dashboard designer is installed) and they also say that Dashboard Designer should upgrade automatically when opened.

We have just made progress to resolving this issue:

After comparing some modified dates for the files, it turns out that the PmService.asmx files (the one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\WebService and the one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService) were modified right after the installation of SP1. We have another test environment where installing SP1 was successful. After replacing the broken PmService.asmx file with the working one from the test box, the PPS Service starts working correctly again.

Here are some really weird things:

1. Uninstalling SP1 did not fix the issue (the PmService.asmx file is still broken)
    2. After reinstalling SP1 and running Dashboard Designer from the link Start menu -> Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server 2007 -> Dashboard designer, we came up with the same issue (PmService.asmx file modified and not functional again)
    3. After reinstalling SP1 and running Dashboard Designer from the Central web site seems to work. It is really strange though, that Dashboard designer modifies the file ?!?!

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Danydd,

Please check in IIS | Application Pool | PPSMonitoringWebService Application Pool is running or try recycling the Application Pool

I hope you have executed SP1 install on all server and client machine to update the Monitoring Server Components.

Thank you,

Sundar - MSFT

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Hi, Sundar

Yes, the application pool is running under the specified service account.

The instructions for installing SP1 do not mention installing SP1 on client machines (where only Dashboard designer is installed) and they also say that Dashboard Designer should upgrade automatically when opened.

We have just made progress to resolving this issue:

After comparing some modified dates for the files, it turns out that the PmService.asmx files (the one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\WebService and the one in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server\3.0\Monitoring\PPSMonitoring_1\WebService) were modified right after the installation of SP1. We have another test environment where installing SP1 was successful. After replacing the broken PmService.asmx file with the working one from the test box, the PPS Service starts working correctly again.

Here are some really weird things:

1. Uninstalling SP1 did not fix the issue (the PmService.asmx file is still broken)
    2. After reinstalling SP1 and running Dashboard Designer from the link Start menu -> Microsoft Office PerformancePoint Server 2007 -> Dashboard designer, we came up with the same issue (PmService.asmx file modified and not functional again)
    3. After reinstalling SP1 and running Dashboard Designer from the Central web site seems to work. It is really strange though, that Dashboard designer modifies the file ?!?!

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:20 PM
  •  

How do you uninstall SP1?
    Monday, August 11, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Hi, Ivonee

We removed it from Control panel -> Add/ Remove Programs.

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Maxim M Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:39 AM
  • I had the same problem:

While trobleshooting the PPS Monitoring Dashboard designer, I found out that the web service is not working. 

If I tried to browse the PPSMonitoring WebService (PMService.asmx), I got an error message on the web page :

The page must have a <%@ webservice class="MyNamespace.MyClass" ... %> directive.

I tried to compare the script in PMService.asmx with the PNService.asmx from other servers, here is what I found:

Here is the script from PMService.asmx from the server which doesn't work:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><soap:Envelope xmlnsTongue Tiedoap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"><soap:Body><IsUserInServerRole xmlns="http://www.microsoft.com/performancepoint/scorecards"><serverRole>Admin</serverRole></IsUserInServerRole></soap:Body></soap:Envelope>

Here is the scipt from PMService.asmx from the server which works:

<%@ WebService Language="c#" Class="Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.PmService,Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server,Version=3.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" %>

When I replaced the script in PMService.asmx everything start working.

Vlad

• Proposed as answer by ashishshevale Monday, August 10, 2009 9:38 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2008 8:26 PM
  • We had the same problem with our development environemnt.  64 bit working install of PPS and when we upgraded to SP1, we could no longer run PMService.aspx -> similar parser problem you had.  The issue was that .NET 3.5 was installed on the server and we were not aware of this.  PPS was installed and while the install did not work, it occured to me that during the install of PPS, I did not get the ususal warning messages that ASP.NET 2.0 and Ajax Extensions were required - something I have grown to expect from doing installs.  So, I figured we should try and install them and see if it would fix the problem.  It did.  PPS worked just fine.  However, when we upgraded to SP1, the SP1 install un-did our fix.  We hunted around and found .NET 3.5 on the machine as mentioned.  We uninstalled .NET 3.5 and reinstalled PPS and subsequently SP1 and were are now good to go.

When we setup the Test Environment, we uninstalled .NET 3.5 first (it was there too) and PPS worked fine -> and of course we had to install Ajax extensions et al. and the install went smoothly.

So, check your servers for .NET 3.5 if before you install PPS.  It will save you hours of headache.  Note to MS, why not make this part of your pre-requisite check? 

Friday, October 10, 2008 1:19 AM
  • Hi
    I faced the same issue and I copied the PMservice.asmx script you (vgedgafov ) mentioned which is

<%@ WebService Language="c#" Class="Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server.PmService,Microsoft.PerformancePoint.Scorecards.Server,Version=3.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" %>

on server and everything started working
    I still couldnt understand the problem but good news is things can be made working

Monday, August 10, 2009 9:42 AM