Installing Windows 7 after ubuntu RRS feed

• Question

• I've had Ubuntu on my system for a short while and now that I can use my recovery disks for Windows 7 I don't need it anymore, Ubuntu probably isn't on my HDD anymore but it left an annoying program called grub, due to this every time I try to start my computer I get "grub rescue>", I need to remove it. The only OS I've got available is Ubuntu from a disk (I can use it but it isn't actually installed), I have the recovery disks but they seem to only let me install (and don't overwrite Grub).

Solved: I had to use the Windows 7 system recovery disks (http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/) ince my recovery disks wouldn't let me access repair, after that steps 2-4 worked (couldn't change boot order, had to select it each time, and if I could I wouldn't want to change it back).

• Edited by E29437 Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:43 PM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:24 AM

Answers

• I believe this wiull suffice to get the machine booting:

1. Put the Windows disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer (set to boot from DVD/CD in BIOS).

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select the options to repair the computer when they are offered. Follow the prompts.

4. When you get to the, type exactly Bootrec.exe /FixMbr and then press ENTER. You will see "operation completed successfully."

5. Reboot and set BIOS to boot from the HDD again, if desired.

GRUB will be overwritten and Windows bootloader will once again take control of loading your OS(s). Do check the link MS helper provided.

Tom

• Marked as answer by E29437 Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:43 PM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:01 AM

All replies

• Have a look to this Microsoft article, it is about how to use the Bootrec.exe tool in Windows Recovery Environement to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

It will help you to overwrite Grub.

Best regards.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Wipe the HD before reinstalling Win7 as GRUB can corrupt 7 boot if it isn't overwritten with at least one set of zeroes. 

Boot the Win7 DVD Repair console or REpair CD, press Shift F10 to open a Command Line, type:

DISKPART
    LIST DISK
    SELECT DISK # (replace # with target HD #)

CLEAN ALL

EXIT

or use a third party partition manager like free Partition Wizard bootable CD which works best with Win7, to wipe HD from rightclick context menu.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 5:55 AM
  • I believe this wiull suffice to get the machine booting:

1. Put the Windows disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer (set to boot from DVD/CD in BIOS).

2. Press a key when you are prompted.

3. Select the options to repair the computer when they are offered. Follow the prompts.

4. When you get to the, type exactly Bootrec.exe /FixMbr and then press ENTER. You will see "operation completed successfully."

5. Reboot and set BIOS to boot from the HDD again, if desired.

GRUB will be overwritten and Windows bootloader will once again take control of loading your OS(s). Do check the link MS helper provided.

Tom

• Marked as answer by E29437 Saturday, August 28, 2010 12:43 PM
    Saturday, August 28, 2010 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

If you have the linux live cd you can boot from the disk the should be a tool on the disk called Gparted is a partition manager go to it and format you hard drive this will be possible because you booting from the disk which creates a ram drive i hope this helps

Good Luck

Saturday, August 28, 2010 11:09 AM
  • I would not remove the Recovery Partition unless you verify it will not run.  You may not think you need to restore to, say, Vista but might decide to sell the computer and keep retail Win7. 

Only if you know the Recovery Disks run on their own, and/or that the Recov partition will not run because you have tested it, would I then delete it.

THe best partitioning tool for Win7, free Partition Wizard bootable CD can wipe single partitions with zeroes if you want to save some partitions. 

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:34 AM