Unable to Merge "Free Space" to "Unallocated Space" or "C:" RRS feed

• Question

• OS Windows 7when i shrink volume from "D:" it creates "Free Space" not the "Unallocated Space" which actually I want to use to extend "C:" drive.any help?

I tried 

Disk Management>

highlight and right click "D:" drive and click "Shrink Volume" entered space "51200 or 50GB". It created "Free Space" with 50GB space.

when I right Click on "C:", "Extend Volume" is grayed out. Then I right Clicked on "C:" and clicked "Shrink Volume" and entered space "1024 for 1GB" and it created "Unallocated Space" with 1GB Space which can be used again to extend volume for "C:" but "50GB Free Space" could not be allocated to "C:" 

Then I assigned "F:" to "Free Space" so now I have 3 Drives

C: 100GB, D: 302GB and F: 49.9GB

I want to merge "C:" and "F:"

now if I try to Delete Volume or Shrink Volume it again creates "Free Space" not Unallocated Space which could be used to "Extend Volume" for "C:"

Please help.

Regards

Sumeet

Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:12 PM

Answers

• A deleted partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition.

So, I think you have an Extended Partition that needs to be deleted before the space can be reallocated.

• Proposed as answer by william_tan Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, December 9, 2011 2:54 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:36 PM
  • With the Windows 7 tools you can only extend a partition into free space immediately following it.

You will need third party tools to move partitions on the disk if you want to extend C. 

There are good free partition managers. See http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-partition-manager.htm.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:14 PM

All replies

• A deleted partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or Free Space if it‘s a Logical Drive within an Extended Partition.

So, I think you have an Extended Partition that needs to be deleted before the space can be reallocated.

• Proposed as answer by william_tan Wednesday, November 16, 2011 8:54 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 1:36 PM
  • With the Windows 7 tools you can only extend a partition into free space immediately following it.

You will need third party tools to move partitions on the disk if you want to extend C. 

There are good free partition managers. See http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-partition-manager.htm.

Sunday, November 13, 2011 3:14 PM