MS word wont take my product key RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old office xp 2002 that worked great for years. I bought it through my employer at the time.  Now only the word wont open and askes my to enter the product key. After I enter it I get a pop up that says key is invalid.

My excel and power point still works

• Moved by Sally Tang Monday, August 23, 2010 7:30 AM (From:Office Volume Activation)
    • Moved by Sally Tang Monday, August 23, 2010 7:32 AM (From:Office IT Pro General Discussions)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Where did you find the Office product key? Is your Office program is retail version or came with the computer?

The key on the label on the computer is the product key for Windows. Your computer apparently came with a trial version of Microsoft Office, and you are trying to enter the Windows Product Key into Office.  

It won't work. You need an Office key for Office, not a Windows key. And since you have only a trial version of Office, you need to buy itto get a Product Key. Note that Word is part of Microsoft Office, and does not come with any version of Windows.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:47 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Where did you find the Office product key? Is your Office program is retail version or came with the computer?

The key on the label on the computer is the product key for Windows. Your computer apparently came with a trial version of Microsoft Office, and you are trying to enter the Windows Product Key into Office.  

It won't work. You need an Office key for Office, not a Windows key. And since you have only a trial version of Office, you need to buy itto get a Product Key. Note that Word is part of Microsoft Office, and does not come with any version of Windows.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Thursday, August 26, 2010 8:47 AM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:40 AM
  • If the other Office programs are still running, try using the Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/) to find the product key for Office XP.

-- Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"mikkim129" wrote in message news:9978f384-1242-4e47-b839-43dfec1e80f9@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have an old office xp 2002 that worked great for years. I bought it through my employer at the time.  Now only the word wont open and askes my to enter the product key. After I enter it I get a pop up that says key is invalid.

My excel and power point still works

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Monday, August 23, 2010 8:36 AM