win2008 terminal server rds licensing rules RRS feed

• Question

• We will be purchasing "user" RDS Cals not device cals.

I am trying to find out how many licenses we will need when purchasing win2008 terminal server licenses (RDS).  As I understand it, it is NOT licensed by concurrent users.  If we have win2008 terminal servers, we must have an RDS license for every user, regardless if they ever login to the terminal server.  In other words, we should have the same number of RDS Cals as we do Windows Server Cals?    I thought I read it was licensed by named user as well, so that implies we only need a license for every user who is logging into terminal server.

I have not found any documentation that explains this very well.  I would also like to know the rules for Win2003 terminal.  I always thought Win2003 terminal server cals were concurrent user.

Network Touch
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:24 PM

Answers

• so if I have 100 Windows Cals (users) and only 10 of those users login to terminal server, I only need 10 RDS licenses.  The server will keep track of the users logging in.  If one of those users leaves the company, do I have to revoke that user's license so it can give it to someone else or is the process automatic?  How do I keep up with who has the licenses?  I know I can apply permissions to only allow certain users or group to login, but if it is based on a group, it can get out of hand quickly.  Am I making this more complicated than it is?

Seems like concurrent users would have been the easiest way to license this..

Network Touch

so if I have 100 Windows Cals (users) and only 10 of those users login to terminal server, I only need 10 RDS licenses.

> correct

If one of those users leaves the company, do I have to revoke that user's license so it can give it to someone else or is the process automatic?

> the revocation is only possible with PER DEVICE licenses. Per user licensing is not enforced. So you just have to make sure that the fired employee does not come in at night and work away on RDS server

How do I keep up with who has the licenses?

> with per user reporting feature available in 2008 :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2007/08/06/terminal-services-per-user-licensing-usage-tracking.aspx

Am I making this more complicated than it is?

> no those are reasonable questions I get from my customers too

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 London” November 2011, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:06 PM

All replies

• Yes you need just the amount of User licenses that will login. Not for any user in your domain.
    That is the difference with device where every device needs a licenses.

In Per User licensing mode you must have one license for every user. With Per User licensing, one user can access a terminal server from an unlimited number of devices and only needs one CAL rather than a CAL for each device.

The link is 2003 but same applies for 2008.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc772900(WS.10).aspx

Virtualization Conference “PubForum 2011 London” November 2011, The Bible of Remote Desktop Services! , Microsoft Virtualization Solutions Day Dublin!
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:34 PM
  • so if I have 100 Windows Cals (users) and only 10 of those users login to terminal server, I only need 10 RDS licenses.  The server will keep track of the users logging in.  If one of those users leaves the company, do I have to revoke that user's license so it can give it to someone else or is the process automatic?  How do I keep up with who has the licenses?  I know I can apply permissions to only allow certain users or group to login, but if it is based on a group, it can get out of hand quickly.  Am I making this more complicated than it is?

Network Touch
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:53 PM

Network Touch

so if I have 100 Windows Cals (users) and only 10 of those users login to terminal server, I only need 10 RDS licenses.

> correct

If one of those users leaves the company, do I have to revoke that user's license so it can give it to someone else or is the process automatic?

> the revocation is only possible with PER DEVICE licenses. Per user licensing is not enforced. So you just have to make sure that the fired employee does not come in at night and work away on RDS server

How do I keep up with who has the licenses?

> with per user reporting feature available in 2008 :

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2007/08/06/terminal-services-per-user-licensing-usage-tracking.aspx

Am I making this more complicated than it is?

> no those are reasonable questions I get from my customers too

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:06 PM