Unacceptable behavior from software protection service RRS feed

• Question

• I was using computer with windows 8.1 and everything shuts down and reboots.  I look at system logs and it states System unexpectedly shut down. Also Computer was improperly shut down.  I go to application and find entry Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for restart at 2114-06-12T18:34:09Z.  Reason Rules Engine. If user has administrative rights there should be override of this since it did not show an error state.  Are they trying to make the OS less and Less useful?

I have a temperature sensor running and cpu was 60 degrees below max temperature.

PS last update broke my combo plug headset.  System has forgotten how to set the single combo plug for input and output.  I have a feeling it involves RealTek drivers again. It also affected Intel audio too.

Sunday, July 6, 2014 6:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Many reasons could caused the computer shutdown expectedly.

Was this behavior regular?

Please check if there any schedule task is configured to carry out this operation.

Run this command:

schtasks /query /v /fo LIST

If there is no clue, perform a Clean Boot to see if there is any third-party software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 7, 2014 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Many reasons could caused the computer shutdown expectedly.

Was this behavior regular?

Please check if there any schedule task is configured to carry out this operation.

Run this command:

schtasks /query /v /fo LIST

If there is no clue, perform a Clean Boot to see if there is any third-party software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 7, 2014 7:44 AM
  • This "answer" is woefully inadequate.  ksnash told you the cause of the shutdown "Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for restart at 2114-06-12T18:34:09Z.  Reason Rules Engine" .  This is a quote from his event log.  I know this, because I've just had exactly the same issue on a fully patched Windows 2012 Server, which shut itself down while people were using the IIS and SQL Server installed upon it (no third party products for you to point towards either).

This is an unbelievably bad problem.

Why is the Software Protection service restarting an active server for "Rules Engine"?

Friday, July 1, 2016 10:49 AM